PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic...free *.rar file reader?

Fehya
12-29-2006, 04:54 PM
Sorry to be off topic, but I have several downloads now which I can not read.

Thanks

Julie18nz
12-29-2006, 05:08 PM
Sorry to be off topic, but I have several downloads now which I can not read.

Thanks

.rar is teh same as .zip go to www.winrar.com dl teh prog and unzip them

Trouble
01-01-2007, 01:08 AM
.rar is teh same as .zip go to www.winrar.com dl teh prog and unzip them
WHOA! So NOT the same: .rar is Roshal Archive, a propietary compression format; .zip is by Phil Katz, based on the Lempel-Ziv algorithm (LZ-77 or 78, I forget which... probably LZ-78, right? for the "deflate" compression?). Completely not the same. Zip is good, but Roshal's compression algorithm ranks right up there with LZMA.

Okay, I SWEAR that we are talking about ballbusting. Seriously. See, if I throw enough algorithms at Julie and toss in some "me-better-than-thou" attitude, Julie will, seriously, SWIM to the US and kick my balls out through my nostrils.

BBTex
01-01-2007, 11:19 PM
I prefer 7-zip over Winrar. :)

Julie18nz
01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
I prefer 7-zip over Winrar. :)

Pretty much the same when ur compressing huge fies like 600meg movies. Tried both, saw very little differnce

gary198
01-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Pretty much the same when ur compressing huge fies like 600meg movies. Tried both, saw very little differnce

UltimateZip 2.7 is my choice

UltimateZip is a program to work with Zip files and many other compression formates.
UltimateZip supports the following features:
Build-in support for:
ZIP archives (*.zip; *.pk3)
Blak Hole archives (*.bh)
Cabinet archives (*.cab)
JAR archives (*.jar)
LHA archives (*.lha; *.lzh)
TAR archives (*.tar) (Unix, Linux compatible)
TAR-GZIP archives (*.tar.gz) (Unix, Linux compatible)
TAR-BZIP2 archives (*.tar.bz2) (Unix, Linux compatible)

UUEncoded files(*.uue)
XXEncoded files(*.xxe)
Build-in support for reading and extracting:
ACE and ACEv2 archives (*.ace)
ARC archives (*.arc)
ARJ archives (*.arj)
RAR and RARv3 archives (*.rar)
ZOO archives (*.zoo)
Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000 integration:
UltimateZip supports “Drag and Drop” from and to the Explorer. It‘s possible to create, extract or mail archives without leaving the Explorer.
UltimateZip Wizard:
The Wizard is used to simplify the process of crating, updating, and extracting archives.
UltimateZip Backup Wizard:
The Backup Wizard creates powerful backup scripts.
Virus scanner support:
UltimateZip can be configured to work with most virus scanners. (extrnal program needed)
Support for Self-Extracting files:
UltimateZip Self-Extractor can create “Self-Extracting Archives”. For extracting these files, no extract program is needed.
Support for creating:
Ace SFX
Arj SFX
Bh SFX
Jar SFX
Lha/Lzh SFX
Rar SFX
Zip SFX
Favorite Archive Folders:
With the “Favorite Archive Folders” feature you are able to organize your favorite archives into a list.
Internet support:
Full UUE and XXE support.
Skinnable Toolbar:
Support for different toolbat skins (button images)

Multible Disk spannig and splitting:
Automatic spanning over multible disks, if needed. Or splitting on a harddisk.

E-Mail support:
UltimateZip can send archives to your MAPI Compatible mail-client.
Archive and file encryption support:
UltimateZip en/decryptes archives or other files using the new AES Standard Rijndael.
Zip repair tool:
Repair dammaged Zip files.
Batch compress support:
Compress multiple file to multiple archives.
Batch extract support:
Extract multible archives with only one mouse klick.
Checkout feature:
To examine or run files in an archive.

Zip comment featue:
View and edit Zip comments.
Integrity test:
Test you archives for errors.

Can be found at
ultimatezip.com

P.S. I am not affilated with this program or web site

Magnum
01-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Huh?:confused:

BBTex
01-12-2007, 07:48 PM

what are you saying "Huh?" to??

I say just use 7-zip for all your zipping/raring needs :Baahaha:

Trouble
01-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Magnum:

The kids are talking about the latest and greatest in file compression and archiving -- the tools that take a bunch of little files, like a word processir and all the little dll files and example this-and-that and clip art stuff it comes with, and squishes them all into one file that is smaller than the compenent pieces.

Let's take a convenient example: your wife wants to take your balls with her on a shopping trip, but wants them to take up as little space in her purse as possible. She seizes your 'nads and squeezes them into one 'nad-pack, which is smaller than your 'nads were before she got ahold of them. She slips the 'nad-pack into her purse and can now carry your balls easily, squished into a single packed archival format.

While shopping, she runs into one her best friends and they take out the 'nad-pack and use a decompression tool (probably her hands, again) to nflate and extract your balls into their normal size and configuration. After they are done playing with them, she squeezes them back down and slips them back into her purse. At the end of the day, she inflates and extracts them again from their 'nad-pack form and re-attaches them to you.

With computers, this simple concept can get amazingly diverse, and so we have hundreds of different compression and archiving software tools. The basic model for all of them, from run-length-encoding to the Lempel-Ziv-Markov compression scheme, is to base the idea of squeezing data down in a manner similar to how your wife squeezes your balls.

All these weirdo little names like b7zip are references to different algorithms and such.

David_B
01-16-2007, 03:14 PM
I recommend Filzip, it's free, and has good security features:

http://www.filzip.com/en/index.html

Both Filzip and 7-zip warn you if the zip or rar file you are trying to decompress contains an attempt to damage your computer O.S., or to place a virus or Trojan in your system folder. (This can be done using the directory traversal technique, by including "../../../.." in file names of items you are trying to decompress.) I personally associate all archives supported with Filzip, and never use Windows' own zip manager to open zip files.

David B.
--
www.ballbustinggoddess.com/Samples/Updates.html

obdx
01-21-2007, 06:32 PM
Now Winzip supports also RAR Archive, but there are some alternatives which cost less money.

aku
01-22-2007, 06:40 AM
it all is a matter of personal perfernce.

:wooow

use what you like

torres
01-22-2007, 09:20 AM
winrar is still my favourite : www.rarlab.com

a330701
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
sorry but im kinda new to using file compressions, i was wondering how much space do u actually save when you compress a file?

Trouble
01-24-2007, 11:41 PM
sorry but im kinda new to using file compressions, i was wondering how much space do u actually save when you compress a file?
That varies a whole lot. Depending on the file type and which program you use, you could see reductions from maybe 25% to 60%. For videos, the compression is generally not as good since most video formats are already using a software technique called "delta" and might some compression inherent in the file.

Text files generally get squashed flat (up to 90% if you are lucky -- or, well, it isn't luck, but how well the program is written); sound files generally compress very well; and executables vary a lot, but generally they do not compress as well as other files. Some images will compress well (like ,bmp); others use "bicubic downsampling" or other weirdness already, so they will not (.jpeg, for example: does not generally compress much more than it already is). ,gif and .png also do not compress much more.

This is way off topic from ballbusting, really, and I have not kept up to date with the most modern things like Markov modelling, but it's a pretty interesting subject... for another board.

DVant
02-06-2007, 08:56 AM
ExtractNow is really very good. I usually use it over winzip to open files. However I find winzip creates zip files quicker. There have been times when I've come across files that even EN won't open. In those cases Winrar has come thru for me...

*Notices Guest's location* :wooow
peacebunny.com, huh... it's been a long time (too long) since I've seen that site mentioned around here. I hope you'll decide to stick around for a while. In anycase welcome to the board... ;) :o