PDA

View Full Version : Divingboard busts?

knutty
08-31-2008, 03:24 PM
A couple of weeks ago I was in a swimming pool with my girlfriend and she told me a story about time when she was in school. There was some kind of trip to a pool with official type diving boards. They were taking jumps off of the 10meter platform. They were jumping feet-first because none of them really knew how to dive. I guess one of the boys jumped but didn't keep his feet together and came down on his balls. Apparently it was enough to make him lose consciousness and he had to be pulled out of the pool. My gf wasn't actually at the pool when it happened, but I guess the story had spread pretty quickly around the whole school by the next day; you can only imagine.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure out if the story is credible. I've never jumped off a 10meter platform, but I know that a bellyflop off even the 3 meter board stings pretty bad, but that is hitting the water with quite a bit of surface area. It seems that going feet first, even if the feet were apart, would still break the surface of the water and kind of streamline the entry. I know I've jump off some 5 or 6 meter cliffs, and I've never paid too much attention to my entry, but I'm usually not the most coordinated guy on the planet, so it seems I must have made at least a few entries with my feet apart, and I've never even thought of testicular pain from a water entry.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this before? I did a search on the forum and didn't find any related posts.

Maybe this could be an interesting way to do a self-bust in public and make it look like an accident, if somebody were into that type of thing.

Su0
08-31-2008, 03:53 PM
Well, I know a guy who did the same from 10 meters at a swimming hall. He didn't lose conciousness but said he went straight to WC to check "if they still were there". :) So it obviously can be painful, no doubt.

Hasta
08-31-2008, 06:05 PM
As a person who does a few events where clothing is optional, I can tell you that yes, you can rack yourself with the water if you aren't careful.