check the ballbusting updates here

Page 82 of 110 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 1,216 to 1,230 of 1644

Thread: Furry Ballbusting

Big Supporter
    And, hot on the heels of the last story, there's this one. I've been sitting on this unrelated tale for a while now, but finishing up the fifth chapter of A Gryphon's Tail gave me the momentum to polish this one up as well.

Elin is a character I created for Poui's Underground League flash game (now sadly defunct), and I've always wanted to write something with her in it. She's a wannabe adventurer who, theoretically, makes up for her inexperience with energy, enthusiasm, and a healthy dose of dirty fighting. Or at least she WILL be, eventually. Just, y'know, not yet since this story takes place before her adventuring days.

As an aside, this is the closest I'll ever come to actually inserting my own character (Saga) into any of my publicized stories. I should also mention that this story exists primarily as an exercise in writing dialogue. But hey, ballbusting, so there's that. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SagaDC
    Elin flopped onto her bed melodramatically, sprawling across the rumpled covers as she buried her muzzle into one of her pillows. The lynx was tired - she had been working the tables all day long - but she wasn't quite tired enough to just go straight to sleep. Still, it was important to let her sisters know just how hard she had been working.
    "Aw, you poor kitten," her eldest sister cooed sarcastically from the bed opposite Elin's. Tia was four years older than the lynx, and she wasn't even the same species. Distinctly feline, Tia was instead a lanky Siamese.
    "Working soooo hard," Mia sneered, peering from the bunk above Tia's. She was Tia's twin, almost identical but for her whiskers. Where Tia's whiskers were a glossy black, Mia's were a distinct white. It was remarkable how many people missed that simple detail, and the two felines often used it to their advantage.
    "Shut up, Mia!" Elin's words were immediately followed by a hurled pillow. The lynx was one of the few who had no problem telling the two apart. The pillow missed completely, of course, but it had the desired effect of driving her back up to her perch.
    Tia grinned up at her twin from the lower bunk, plucking Elin's errant pillow off the ground and lobbing it back to the lynx. "Well honestly, what do you expect? The two of us worked six clients-"
    "Well, five." Mia interjected, stretching out on her bed to adopt a languid pose. "The last one wanted both of us at once."
    "The two of us worked five clients," Tia continued, as if she hadn't been interrupted. "And what did you do? You cleaned some tables and mopped up the bathrooms. If anyone should be complaining about their workload, it should be us."
    Elin huffed, squirming into a seated position as she deftly intercepted her pillow. She tossed it back onto her bed, then scooted down to the footboard so she could lean over and skim the contents of the adjacent bookshelf. "And I worked with Lena! She's teaching me how to tend bar!"
    "Soooo hard," Mia laughed, yelping as Elin's pillow whomped her in the face this time.
    Tia laughed, ignoring her twin's brooding stare as she instead kept her eye fixed on her youngest sibling. Elin was, in many ways, the stark opposite of her elder sisters. Mia and Tia were tall and thin, curved in all the right places but only modestly so. Elin was shorter and stockier, and she had oft been teased for being the runt of the litter, but over the past year or two her figure had filled out dramatically.
    "What Mia is trying to say, is-" Tia paused, intercepting another of Elin's pillows. She kept it this time, since she knew that the lynx was now completely out of ammunition. Well, unless she decided to start throwing books instead. "What Mia is trying to say is that you could be making a lot more gold, if you'd stop waiting tables and start working the clients."
    Elin frowned, glancing down at her body a tad self-consciously. "Please, not this again. Mom might be alright with you two whoring yourselves out around the Cat House, but I really don't think you're going to find anyone who's willing to pay- ow!"
    Her eldest sister had slipped over to Elin's bedside, to tug sharply on the lynx's oversized eartips. "Hush, you're lovely! And you have a figure to die for, if you'd just be willing to use it every once in a while. I can think of at least three of our regulars who would love to book some time with you, and there might be others too - if you'd just dress in something a little slinkier."
    The lynx swatted at the other feline's paws until her ears were free, and then swatted at them all over again as Tia tugged at her apron instead. "There's nothing wrong with the way I dress!"
    Mia snorted, peering down from her bunk again as she rested her head atop folded arms. "You dress like a waiter."
    "I AM a waiter!" Elin retorted, sticking her pink little tongue out at the younger of the two Siamese.
    Tia grinned, reaching down to snag Elin's tongue, but the lynx swiftly retreated it back into her muzzle. "And a janitor. And now a bartender, too? At the most popular brothel in Mara'kach." She tugged at the edge of Elin's sleeve, now, but withdrew her paw as the lynx started swatting again.
    "I'm just saying," the Siamese continued. "You could be making a LOT more gold. I mean, you wouldn't even need to work with clients if you didn't want to, but I'm sure you'd be getting better tips if you'd just lose the apron. Maybe wear a skirt, instead of long pants. Get something with a lower-cut collar."
    "Oooh," the younger Siamese chimed in. "Or just keep the apron, and lose all the other clothes!"
    Elin blushed hard, her arms folded over her chest at even the THOUGHT of all those ruffians and alleycats staring at her body. "No way!" And she huffed harder as both her sisters started giggling, her oversized ears twitching forward as she grumbled. "And I tried wearing a skirt, but guys kept pinching my butt!"
    Mia rolled her eyes halfway about, flopping onto the edge of the lynx's bed. "Well, duh? That's kind of the point? And then you're supposed to smile at them, and maybe giggle, and then they leave an extra stack of gold and silver coins on the table."
    Elin grumbled again, her arms still securely folded about her person even as Tia draped herself over the lynx's shoulders. "No thank you. Getting pinched HURTS, and besides-" She looked a bit misty-eyed as she gazed off into the middle distance. Or maybe the wall. Yes, she was definitely gazing dreamily at the wall. "I'm not going to be a waitress forever."
    Mia groaned, her arms draping limply off the side of her bed as she let her tongue hang out. "Oh come on, not THIS again."
    Tia looked a little more sympathetic, but it was clear that she was no more convinced than her twin was. "Of course, you still plan on becoming an adventurer. Just like your hero, ah- what was his name? Sega?"
    The lynx scowled, shooting the younger of the two twins another dirty look. "It's Saga, and you KNOW his name! I've caught both of you reading my books whenever you think I'm not around!"
    The elder Siamese chuckled, unfurling her arm from about her younger sibling before she padded lightly about the bed. Dropping down into a crouch, she ran the tip of a finger lightly along the spine of each worn book in turn. Collectively known as the Saga Saga, an absurdly redundant title, each book sported a title that was somehow more pretentious than the last.
    Saga versus the Pyrocasters, Against the Hordes of the Bitch Queen, Saga and the Splendiferous Five - oh, and Tia's personal favorite, Saga and the Waste Lord's Harem. "Well, yes, but only out of morbid curiousity."
    Mia stuck her tongue out again, her ears swiveling like radar dishes as she chastised her sibling. "And you DO know that none of those stories are true, right? Saga is just a writer - and a bad one, at that."
    Elin frowned, her back straightened some as she watched Tia - she could see the way her sister was eying the installment about the Waste Lord's harem. Now she knew who it was that had folded the corners on all of the raunchiest pages. "They're not, and he's not! He told me so!"
    Tia clucked her tongue, although she didn't look up from the bookshelf. "Sweetie, he says a lot of things. Especially to cute young girls who work in the- ooh, this is a new one! Saga and the Crimson Corsairs of Dread Island. Spicy!"
    Elin lunged over her bed, plucking the book from Tia's grip. "Hey, paws off! I haven't finished reading that one yet!"
    Tia laughed, but it was Mia who spoke up first. "Oh, does it have another queen? Maybe a pirate queen? A bitter rival at first, but then when Saga lies bloodied and beaten, he snarls with defiance and she feels a flutter in her heart?"
    "And oh, she swoons." Tia giggled, the back of one hand set to her forehead. "What was this feeling in her heart, the heart that she thought could feel no more? The alleycat's eyes met her own, and her lips quivered with unabated lust."
    Mia grinned, sitting up now as she joined back in. "She had to have him, and he her. Their two bodies intertwined, and for a moment they were one. Saga knew that his comrades needed him, but for that one moment they seemed like a distant aftertho-"
    "Spoilers!" Elin huffed, fishing about for another pillow. But no, she had already thrown them all. "And you two HAVE read it! I only bought it two days ago, so when in the world did you even have the time!?"
    Tia chuckled, looking back to the shelf again. She had read them all, even the spin-offs about the less pretentious supporting characters, but it was always fun to tease her sister. "Between clients. Honestly, Elin, it's like five minutes of work and then an hour while they sleep it off."
    "Ugh," the lynx grunted again. "No thanks. Not since-"
    "Why is it always a queen, anyway?" Mia interrupted. She was hovering at the side of Elin's bed, and she had somehow swiped the book right out of the lynx's paws without her noticing it. "And not just a queen, but a Queen with a capital Q. I mean honestly, the Gryphon Queen, the Dragon Queen, the Bitch Queen - are we really supposed to believe there are all these queens out there, tripping over eachother to sleep with one alleycat?"
    Elin snatched at the book, engaging in a brief tug-of-war before the taller feline relented. The lynx stumbled backward, tripping back onto her bed where she promptly got tangled in the covers - but at least she had gotten her book back. "Shut up! It's because he's a hero!"
    Mia snorted again, "Right. A pervert of heroic proportions."
    "Here's what I don't get," Tia mused as she plucked another book off of the shelf. "Saga claims to be the world's greatest thief and an accomplished swordsman, but every time he ends up fighting against a female it's the same thing all over again-"
    "Right," Mia agreed. "They always end up sleeping together, no matter how ridiculous that-"
    Tia shook her head, absently flipping the book open and quickly flipping from page to page. "No, not that. Before that part. Saga will defeat a dozen men in combat, but the second he fights a female character they always manage to get right past his defenses and-"
    "Oh," Mia giggled. "Right. That."
    Elin frowned again, as she looked back and forth between the two. "That? What that?"
    Tia cleared her throat, the fingers of one paw steepled daintily against her chest as she held the book open in the other. "Ahem. Saga hissed with agony as the assassin, Katsumi, struck home with the toe of her boot. How had she slipped past his guard so swiftly? For the second, it hardly seemed to matter, and it took everything the alleycat had not to instantly drop to his knees."
    Mia joined her twin at the shelf, plucking another book up at random. She flipped, and within seconds she spoke up as well. "Saga yowled with pain, as he was struck from behind! While he had been dispatching the last of the Bitch Queen's guards, the vile temptress had snuck about him, and now when his guard was lowered she struck like the viper that she was. Her boot, and a steel-toed one at that, completely decimated his nethers as the force of the blow lifted him right off of his feet."
    Tia grinned, and was already prepared with another book. "He grappled with the dragoness as his allies looked on, and for a second it seemed that he might win, but the supple wyrm would not allow that. Her spine rippled, her scaled cleavage bouncing as she sought to distract the hero, and in the scant second that his mind wandered she lifted her knee."
    Mia wasn't even opening the books anymore, instead tapping the spines with her fingertip as she relied on her memory. "The Dark Lords of Full Moon Mountain, he kills the Wolfwere Queen's strongest bodyguard before she spends three pages stomping on his balls. In this one, he gets racked by the Bitch Queen's bounty huntress in five different chapters, and in this one he's only defeated by the Demon-Empress of the Wastes because she manages to squeeze him into submission with her tail!"
    Tia started counting off on her fingers as she skimmed the titles with her twin. "Seven times in this one, only twice in this one, and gods - I can't even remember how many times in this one about the wolves of Amazonia. Twenty? Maybe thirty?"
    Elin frowned a bit, but it was a hard point to refute. It was true, and she had wondered about that on more than one occasion, but she had certainly never worked up the nerve to actually ask the alleycat on any of his infrequent visits to the Cat House.
    "Well," she ventured. "Obviously he's just trying to make it clear that he has weaknesses. It's no fun to read about a character who never fails. You can't identify with them. It's, uh, like his Achilles heel."
    Tia snorted, easing one of the books back into it's proper place on the shelf. "Sweetie, I think his weak spot is a little higher than his heel."
    "And it's not just limited to Saga," Mia mused. "It's a wonder that his whole supporting cast hasn't been *********. Gods know that the wizard Ray-Lynn has come close on more than one occasion, and Grunt the Barbarian actually retired after that thing with the Dragon Queen."
    "Ew, yeah." Elin admitted, she probably could have lived without that part of the story. She had really liked the barbarian character, too, although he was a distant second to her heart-throb hero. "Well, uh, maybe he just includes all that stuff because Veri asks him to."
    Tia arched her brows, wagging a finger lightly. "Oh, yeah, now that I could believe."
    Mia quickly agreed, grinning a bit smugly as she traipsed back over to her own bed. "Definitely. She's the BEST when it comes to mangling a guy's manhood. I'd bet gold on her parts being the only thing in the books that might be even remotely true."
    Elin laughed softly, but she bobbed her head in agreement. It was true, the surly canine bouncer had shown on more than one occasion that she knew how to handle disruptive guests. And hey, the mere fact that she was a close friend with the Alleycat himself added a note of legitimacy to each and every one of his stories!
    "Ooh, do you think it's true that they actually slept together?" Mia purred, her voice lowered conspiratorially as she leaned forward on the edge of her bed. Veridia had ears like a hawk, and even though they all knew that she was currently on duty at the far end of the building, it still felt right to keep her voice down.
    "Ha!" Tia laughed, wiping a mirthful tear from the corner of one slanted eye. "In his dreams, maybe!"
    Elin arched her brows, her ears slanted forward as she protested. "They have! Veri told me so herself!"
    Both of the twins stopped and stared, and it was Mia that spoke up first. "Really? She seriously told you that?"
    Elin nodded smugly, a faint purr creeping into her voice as she did so. "And she says he's great in bed, too! So, you know, there's that." The lynx bit her lower lip, softly, the slightest pang of jealousy cutting through her. She loved Veridia, but...
    "No way," Mia scoffed, sashaying back over to her own bed as well. "He's, like, half her size! I'm sure she was just being polite."
    "Well, yes." Tia smiled, echoing her twin's statement. "I find it difficult to believe that he would have the proper leverage for it. I think he would work better with a smaller female, perhaps someone Elin's size..."
    Mia brightened, and her own grin twisted a bit as she fixed an eye on the lynx. "Yes, they ARE about the same size, aren't they! I mean, Elin is a little taller than he is, but you just KNOW he'd love to get his paws on a gal with curves like that."
    Elin blushed even harder, her eartips burning a bright crimson beneath her fur. "Shut up!"
    And a pause, before she peeked sidelong toward her sisters. "...really?"
    "Well..." Tia grinned.
    "No, shut up!" Elin blushed again, rolling onto her bed and pulling the covers over her head in one smooth motion. It was the ostrich defense, but she could only hope that her sisters would tire of teasing her if they couldn't see her blush.
    Mia laughed, her ears slicked forward as she stretched out languidly on the top bunk. "Well, it's not like he'd sleep with her, anyway..."
    Elin peeked out from beneath her cloth cocoon, and tried to do her best to keep a note of disappointment from her voice. "Why not?"
    Her sister smirked, arms folded behind her head as she casually studied the ceiling. "Yeah, he'd probably just want you to kick him between the uprights."
    "Oh," Tia echoed, her own ears perked thoughtfully. "Yes. That would make sense."
    The lynx furrowed her brow, her oversized ears skewed outward as she eyed the twins. She knew they were still teasing her, but it seemed like an odd route to take. "Uh, really? Like, a guy would actually WANT that?"
    "Sure!" Mia perked, peeking down from her bed with the widest cheshire grin she could manage. "More often than you'd think, even!"
    Elin pursed her lips, her head cocked a bit to one side in consternation. "But... doesn't that hurt?"
    Tia chuckled, sitting lightly on the edge of her younger sibling's bed. "Oh, of course it does. Quite a bit, from what I understand. But there's, well, the bad kind of pain and then there's the good kind of pain."
    "Good pain?" Elin made no effort to hide her skepticism, although she was hesitant to actually press her sister for details. Gods knew that the last thing she wanted was a crash-course in kinks and fetishes.
    "Ooooh," Mia crooned, her eyes rolling as she reached down to slap her paw against the curve of her own hip. "Like a good, hard spanking. Mmn..."
    "Ew, you can't be-" Elin looked to Tia, and the question died on her lips.
    "Well," the elder Siamese purred, the slightest tinge of a blush on her own eartips. "Everyone has different, ah... tastes. Mia is just a little less, well... subtle about hers."
    Mia snickered, her brows arched as she tried to look at least vaguely innocent. It didn't work. "Don't let Tia fool you. We're twins, so she has the same tastes I do. It's totally genetic."
    The elder Siamese scowled, pointing one clawed finger at her twin. "That's NOT how genetics work."
    "Ugh, whatever." Elin stuck her tongue out, her head shaking vigorously for a few seconds. "I still don't get it. Besides-" she bit her lower lip, her ears slanted forward as she pondered. "A guy NEEDS those parts, right? I wouldn't want to, um... damage anything..."
    Mia smirked, draping halfway off of her bed to peer at the younger lynx. "Ah-hah! So now the truth comes out. It sounds like SOMEone is aiming to have a certain alleycat's kittens..."
    "Mia!" Elin huffed, trying her utmost to look scandalized.
    "Oh, honey." Tia looked apologetic, reaching over to stroke the embarassed feline's ears. "Sweetie, no. If those books are any indication, then Saga's not going to be having kittens with ANYone..."
    Mia licked over her lips, looking more than a little smug. "No great loss there. Long as he can still perform in the sack, shooting blanks is just a bonus!"
    The lynx groaned, her ears skewed as she looked appropriately cross. "Come on, there's... I dunno, there's magic and stuff for that kind of thing! And, uh..."
    Tia chuckled again, absently plucking the Crimson Corsairs novella back up in one paw. "Mm, well, if you can believe the books, then a swift kick is the ultimate in birth control."
    "And foreplay!" Mia chimed in, still grinning broadly.
    "And foreplay." Tia nodded, politely agreeing with her sister. "If he's into that."
    Elin frowned, first eying Tia and then Mia. "And... if he's not?"
    "Oh," Tia paused, as if she hadn't considered that. "Well, then he probably won't be sleeping with you, after."
    Mia smirked, pulling herself back up onto her bed before stretching out on her stomach. She laced her forearms beneath her chin, musing aloud. "Course, if you do it right he won't be sleeping with ANYone for a while. So yeah, it's still a pretty good form of birth control."
    "Oh come on," Elin scoffed. "It can't be THAT bad."
    Tia giggled politely, but she didn't say anything.
    Elin hesitated, eying the Siamese for a second before she looked to the younger twin for confirmation. "...can it?"
    "Well..." Mia grinned again, her head cocked to one side. "Let me put it this way. You remember Kavah?"
    The lynx furrowed her brow, her tail crooking behind her into a vague semblance of a question mark. "What, that scrawny fox-kin that used to work in the kitchen?"
    "Yeah," the Siamese confirmed, cheerfully. "That one. I kicked him once, like a year ago, after I found out he was cheating on me. Kicked him so hard that I swear, he lifted right up off the ground. He was howling and whimpering for hours."
    "Heck," she licked her lips, purring smugly. "I just saw him last week. He still walks with a limp."
    Elin blinked, her ears slicked back. "I, uh... wow. From one kick?"
    "Actually, I kicked him too." Tia interjected.
    The other two felines blinked in unison, before piping up simultaneously. "You did!?"
    Tia had the good grace to look embarassed, her gaze averted as she offered up the slightest smile. "Well, he was cheating on me, too. Ah... with Mia, apparently."
    "Oh, that bastard." Mia was sitting up now, her ears slicked back as she looked genuinely angry.
    Tia laughed, blushing ever so slightly as she glanced toward her twin, then back to her younger half-sister. "I, ah, actually wish I had known that before. I mean, I knew he was sleeping with that snake girl who passed through town with the carnival during the last summer festival, but..."
    "I remember her!" Elin perked, her ears bolt upright. "She had that act where she hypnotized the mice, and- um... nevermind."
    Mia scowled, "That scaly slut!"
    The elder Siamese smiled demurely, her eyes rolled upward as she murmured. "Yes, well, Veridia was happy to show me how to, ah, teach him a lesson."
    "Of course." Elin rolled her eyes. Veridia was a friend, but there was no denying her Amazonian heritage.
    "Aw," Mia grumbled. "I wish I'd thought to ask her for tips. I probably could've, like, kicked Kavah twice as hard."
    Tia smirked, and for a second she looked almost as evil as her younger twin. "Yes, well, then there wouldn't have been anything left for ME to kick."
    "So dish!" Mia grinned, her irritation forgotten in an instant. "What happened?"
    The elder Siamese paused delicately, her hands set to her thighs as she gave it a moment's thought. "Well, I confronted him, and he tried to plead innocence. Then I slapped him across the face."
    "You SLAPPED him?" Mia scowled, her tail flicking back and forth behind her like an agitated serpent. "You said you KICKED him!"
    Tia gestured dismissively, waving off her sibling's annoyance. "Yes, well, I did that too. Veri told me that it would distract him, and make him raise his guard. Then the second his hands were busy defending his face, I kneed him in the testicles as hard as I could."
    Mia grinned wide, mirthfully displaying as many sharp teeth as she could. "Oh, that's perfect! Then what'd he do?"
    "Oh, well..." Tia set one finger to her muzzle, thinking back. "Much the way you would expect him to, I suppose. He went up onto his toes, uttered a high-pitched whine, and collapsed on the ground clutching himself.
    She wrinkled her nose, whiskers twitching distastefully. "Then he threw up. It was actually pretty gross."
    "Eww..." Elin wrinkled her nose as well, matching her eldest sibling's expression. "Yuck. They never do that in the books."
    Mia giggled gleefully, sitting up on the edge of her bed with her legs dangling freely. "Oh man, that's how you know you got him GOOD." She sighed, looking vaguely whistful. "I just wish I had been there to see it, though. It sounds great."
    Tia blushed, her ears twitching back just slightly. "Yes, well, there really wasn't much to see after that. He just stayed huddled on the ground, rolling back and forth while making these high-pitched whimpering sounds. I think he was crying."
    The younger Siamese rubbed her jaw, her legs kicking back and forth lazily. "Huh, he didn't cry when I kicked him. He actually wouldn't shut up. Just kept whining and moaning about how I'd kicked him in the nuts."
    She grinned, her ears perked as she lilted her voice and tried to emulate his voice from memory. "Oh, Mia! My nuts! I can't believe you kicked me in the nuts! Oh gods, it hurts!" She snickered, her ears folding forward as she looked smug all over again. "Such a puppy. He's just lucky I wasn't wearing those boots that mom got me during the last Winter Festival."
    "Oh, the ones with the wooden heels? Those are cute!" Elin gushed.
    Mia smirked, swinging her leg at the knee in a more pointed motion. "Yeah, the lace-ups. I could probably do a lot of damage with those."
    Tia giggled politely, but she shook her head. "Well, yes, but it's probably for the best that you didn't. As it is, I'm fairly certain that my knee actually DID cause some damage. I actually felt rather bad about that, but at least I know now that he was... pre-tenderized."
    She pursed her lips, whiskers twitching as she mused aloud. "In retrospect, it certainly explains why he had a limp. I had just assumed that he had pulled something sleeping with the snake beastkin."
    "Or that he'd gotten some kind'a snake disease," Mia snorted.
    "Or, ah, yes. That." Tia made another distasteful expression, her ears slicked back at the thought.
    "Well," Elin murmured softly, feeling genuinely sorry for the fox. "I hear they make potions for that, too."
    Mia completely missed the sympathy, her ears ears twitched forward as she huffed. "Man, now I totally want to kick him again! I haven't gotten to bust a guy's balls in ages!"
    Tia flicked an ear sideways, a brow arched as she looked to her twin. "Well, what about that nice tiger who's been seeing you every other week?"
    "Naw," the younger Siamese sighed. "He cancelled. Said I was too mean, or whatever. Pussy."
    Elin frowned, leaning back against her bed as she let the covers pool about her legs. "Well, um, it kind of sounds like he might have had a good reason."
    Tia sighed as well, shaking her head slightly. "Oh, Mia, I told you that was going to happen if you kept ignoring the safe words. We have those for a reason."
    The younger Siamese rolled her eyes, jaw cocked. "What. Ever. Anyways, it's beside the point. I haven't gotten to kick a guy in, like, forever!"
    "Well, what about that mouse-kin that tried to-"
    Mia scowled, shaking her head violently. "That was WEEKS ago! And I barely touched him! Veri did most of the work."
    "Er," the lynx hesitated again, her ears drooping. "Wait, was that the guy they had to rush to the healer? I thought he fell down the stairs or something."
    "Pff, yeah." The Siamese smirked again, shaking her head in bemusement. "Maybe AFTER Veri beat the snot out of him when I caught his hand in the till."
    Elin blinked, her ears twitched back. "Oh, uh, I see."
    Tia sighed, a hand set to her hip as she eyed her twin. "Mia, you're incorrigable. Honestly, sometimes I think you might not be happy until you've actually neutered some poor beastkin."
    Mia grinned broadly, showing two dozen sharp teeth, but she said nothing.
    The elder Siamese arched a brow, slipping off of Elin's bed and rising back to her feet. "Well, if you'll promise not to actually neuter him, I suppose we could go visit Kavah in the marketplace tomorrow..."
    "Oh, Tia-" Mia leaned down, licking her sister right between the eyes. "I could kiss you!"
    Tia laughed, demurely smoothing the fur at her forehead with a swipe of her paw. "Not unless there's a paying client, please. I don't need those kinds of rumors circulating."
    The younger Siamese snickered again, pulling herself back up onto her bed before flicking a glance over toward the lynx. "Hey, Ellie, you want to come along? You could probably use the practice for the next time your lover comes into town."
    Elin rolled her eyes, sliding out of bed. "Ugh, no thanks. Tomorrow's my day off, and I want to finish reading my story before the two of you ruin it any more than you already have." She snatched her book back out of Tia's paws and, with that done, she promptly returned to bed.
    "And he's not my lover! He's just..." she paused, then finished lamely. "A writer that I, uh, like a lot."
    "Riiiight." Mia giggled, her tailtip flicking back and forth behind her. "Well, if you want to see what HE likes a lot, then you'll want to check out pages forty-two, one-fifty-eight, and two-oh-five."
    Tia smoothed out her whiskers, blushing delicately as she tried to stifle a soft purr. "Ah, and... page sixty-nine."
    Elin sighed, the novel hanging limply in her paw. "Uh, yeah. That's great. Thanks."
    ...she really needed to talk to her mother about getting her own room.

Big Supporter
    Hrm, realized after the fact that the paragraph breaks didn't take properly. It won't let me go back and re-edit it, though. Hopefully it's still decipherable. :P

Quote Originally Posted by SagaDC View Post
    Hrm, realized after the fact that the paragraph breaks didn't take properly. It won't let me go back and re-edit it, though. Hopefully it's still decipherable. :P
    I found it disipherable and it was great

I don't think anyone will know where this came from but its worth a shot. Awhile back I found this comic where the Big Bad Wolf ****** a bj outta Red and later in the end gets a kick to his fuzzy nards.

Here is the link to where I just recently saw a pic from the comic and was hoping someone might know the rest.

http://xhamster.com/photos/view/1749021-28800478.html

Quote Originally Posted by ballmasher View Post
    I don't think anyone will know where this came from but its worth a shot. Awhile back I found this comic where the Big Bad Wolf ****** a bj outta Red and later in the end gets a kick to his fuzzy nards.

Here is the link to where I just recently saw a pic from the comic and was hoping someone might know the rest.

http://xhamster.com/photos/view/1749021-28800478.html
    http://www.megahq.info/galeria/red.php

Big Supporter Alec Anaconda, A1's Avatar
    And, hot on the heels of the last story, there's this one. I've been sitting on this unrelated tale for a while now, but finishing up the fifth chapter of A Gryphon's Tail gave me the momentum to polish this one up as well.

Elin is a character I created for Poui's Underground League flash game (now sadly defunct), and I've always wanted to write something with her in it. She's a wannabe adventurer who, theoretically, makes up for her inexperience with energy, enthusiasm, and a healthy dose of dirty fighting. Or at least she WILL be, eventually. Just, y'know, not yet since this story takes place before her adventuring days.

As an aside, this is the closest I'll ever come to actually inserting my own character (Saga) into any of my publicized stories. I should also mention that this story exists primarily as an exercise in writing dialogue. But hey, ballbusting, so there's that. :P

Thank you for a most excellent story, SagaDC.

Will you be writing a continuation?
    Alec Anaconda

Please click on book covers to read extracts.

eBooks_by_ALEC_ANACONDA

More excellent stories saga! Hope both of them continue!

Big Supporter
    Glad to hear you like it, Jay and Jabby. I'll admit it was a nice change of pace from what I normally write.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec Anaconda, A1 View Post
    Thank you for a most excellent story, SagaDC.

Will you be writing a continuation?
    I'm not sure if I'll be doing a direct follow-up to this one, but the characters will certainly appear again. This story certainly takes place in the same universe that Rhaelyn and Kira exist in, so there's certain to be an inevitable crossing of paths between characters.

Of course, I'll admit that it's tempting to write something brief about the Twins and Kavah.

Of course, I'll admit that it's tempting to write something brief about the Twins and Kavah.
    Yes please Love the twins. Plus your story on Poiu's forum with the two bunnies is one of the best ever. You really nailed the double-team effort :P

Big Supporter
    Goodness, I guess I've been in a writing mood lately. I've actually finished AGT part 6 well ahead of schedule, and after giving it the twice-over I've decided that I'm actually happy with it. Granted, this part is shorter than part 4 or 5, but it's also longer than the first three. I think it hits a nice middle-ground in length and content.

This chapter also marks my first serious effort at expanding the Gryphon's Tail universe, setting the seeds for many future stories to come. Honestly, I already have ideas for the next major story arc, but I have to finish this one first! Hopefully it doesn't get old before then.

As always, I'm happy to hear comments and critiques. I've only been doing this for a few months, and I'm well aware that I can stand to improve in many areas. Regardless, though, I hope you enjoy it.

A Gryphon's Tail, Part VI

Of Things Long Past...

The night passed quietly and uneventfully, but neither of the travelers got much sleep. Kira napped, briefly, happily cuddled up to her beastkin companion - but she awoke twice an hour, like clockwork, to scan the horizon for signs of danger. It wasn't that she didn't trust the panther's invisible magic, but... well... it was invisible magic. How could she trust something she couldn't see?

Still, her caution seemed unwarranted. A dozen times she stirred, and a dozen times her perimeter check came up with nothing. No sign of gryphons, beastkin, or even the elemental creatures that roamed the Peaks. She tried to temper her hopefulness, but she couldn't help wondering if the hunters had already given up the chase.

As for Rhaelyn, his restlessness stemmed from other sources. There were the inevitable aches and pains, of course - over the past few days he had been beaten, bludgeoned, crushed and mangled with alarming regularity. Even with the assistance of the potion he had been carefully rationing, he was... well, to say 'sore' would be an understatement.

To make matters worse, the hen at his side seemed intent on... complicating things. It was cold out, so he certainly had no complaints about the warmth of her body or the softness of her fur. Rather, it was her guilty insistence on 'helping' him forget his pain that was the source of the real problem.

Early in the evening she had been heavily implying that he might benefit from the same manner of oral first aid that she had provided in the past - and Rhaelyn had to admit that there was certainly some appeal to the offer. Of course, that was easier said than done, given the state of his genitals. Even the thought of getting an erection was enough to make the beastkin dizzy, and there were sincere doubts to Kira's ability to perform smoothly enough so as to not cause more pain than pleasure.

Oh, she had tried of course, but even the lightest fondling with her clumsy talons had been met with dizzying waves of pain when she inevitably bumped or brushed over the unfortunate male's swollen sac. After trying and failing for the better part of an hour, Kira had finally grudgingly admitted that they might be better off cuddling.

But that was, what, six hours ago? Eight? Ten? Rhaelyn was having a hard time keeping track of time, since Kira had still insisted on keeping one hand tucked down the front of his pants. It was... well, again, the warmth was nice. And really, her scaly fingers felt pleasant against his more delicate regions, now that he had gotten used to the feel.

The claws were a bit daunting, but the hen had lived her whole life learning how to use them without accidentally rending things to pieces - even in her sleep. That didn't stop her from occasionally kneading or squeezing over his nethers while she was supposedly sleeping, but she seemed alert enough to still her fingers at the slightest hint of a whimper from the male. Honestly, it was... pleasant. Soothing, even.

And arousing.

It wasn't JUST the fondling, though, or the warmth of her hand against his oft-abused genitals. It was the feel of her body pressed up against hers, and the almost constant thrum of her ragged purring. Even her scent was pleasant, now that he had grown accustomed to it - it was an odd musk, like that of a wild animal, but with a hint of fragrant spice.

It was enough that after failing to get any sleep for most of the night, his body had finally decided that he COULD in fact still manage to achieve an erection. It was something that he was certainly relieved to discover, but his gratefulness was strained to the breaking point by the end of the first hour or so.

Kira had noticed, of course - in fact, she had almost considered rousing the panther when she first awoke for a perimeter check and discovered that her hand was cradled about that rigid length. But no, he SEEMED to be resting peacefully, and she certainly didn't want a repeat of her earlier attempts to please him. So she settled for just keeping it firmly in her grip, giving it the occasional squeeze or stroke to ensure that he was having pleasant dreams - and to reassure herself that she hadn't done any permanent damage.

Unfortunately, the panther wasn't actually dreaming, although he was certainly pretending to. He needed some time to himself to sort out his thoughts. A lot of things had happened on his current adventure, and some of those things were... confusing. Well, one of those things. Okay, it was Kira. Still, it took him hours of mildly distracted pondering to actually admit that fact to himself.

Rhaelyn sighed softly, but he held his breath as the hen stirred beside him. After a few seconds she had settled again, and the panther had to suppress a shiver as he felt her talons squeezing gently about his achingly hard member. She seemed to nod off again just as quickly, though, and the male was once again left alone with his thoughts.

The gryphon was a conundrum. She certainly wasn't the first gryphon that he had met during his travels - not even the first 'civilized' gryphon - but she was somehow different from all the others. She was personable, of course - an odd trait for one of the feathered beasts. Funny, too. And smart, which was even more unusual given the rather dense nature of most of her ilk.

Then again, she was also somewhat unpredictable. Violent. Terrifying, even. None of that was unusual for a gryphon, of course, but somehow the hen's friendly nature and keen intellect made her lapses into violence all the more disconcerting. And the fact that he was more often than not the target of her violent outbursts was worse.

Sure, he could admit that the first time was justified. Maybe even the second. But at this point he was starting to wish that she'd just start biting him, or punching him in the stomach, or anything really - as long as it wasn't aimed at his increasingly useless kittenmakers. She almost seemed to be developing some kind of bizarre obsession with emasculating him.

That thought was silly, though, since he realized that if she REALLY wanted to emasculate him, she had a dozen different ways to do it far more efficiently. In fact, that mere thought suddenly made him a little more nervous about having the hen's talons curled about his manhood.

The panther stifled a groan, one hand rising to rub lightly at his temple. All this thinking was starting to give him a headache - or perhaps it was just the lack of sleep. Or his injuries. Or the fact that he'd had an erection for what felt like hours now. Or, most likely, a combination of all four of those things.

Kira stirred again, and this time she lifted her head. Her beak gaped in a wide yawn, her eyes flicking open as she scanned the jagged horizon. After a moment she cocked her head, fixing one eye on the beastkin instead. The faintest smile slipped onto her beak as she took stock - he certainly LOOKED like he was still sleeping, and he certainly FELT like he was doing better.

She flexed her fingers against the male's nethers once more, absently trying to work the stiffness out of her knuckles without actually pulling her hand from his pants. Her talons carefully curled back about the handhold, and this time she dared to give him a few brisk strokes before she-

And the panther groaned, although he made an obvious attempt to stifle it.

Kira blushed, her grip on the male's length instantly loosening as she tried to feign innocence. Leaning in, she bumped the beastkin's chin lightly with her beak. "Oh, Ser Rhaelyn. Are you awake now?"

Rhaelyn snorted softly, his whiskers twitching as he half-opened one eye to peer at the hen. She was hardly a smooth criminal, but he decided to humor her anyway. He gave a very real yawn, his sharp teeth briefly bared before he murmured. "Mnf, guess so. Is it morning already?"

"Still a couple of hours off," Kira responded, her head perked as she made a show of scanning the heavens. Not that it really took an expert to deduce that much, given that the moon was still visible and the stars were still out.

The panther stifled another yawn, his eyes closed to slits as he folded one hand over them. "Hff... good, then I can... get a few more hours of..." The effort of speaking aloud seemed to redouble his weariness, and he yawned yet again just to emphasize that fact.

"W-... wait, Ser Rhaelyn." Kira seemed hesitant, almost shy, but not quite shy enough to actually pull her hand out of his pants.

"Mmn?"

Rhaelyn's eyes were still covered, but Kira took his inquisitive mumbling as a prompt for her to continue. "I, uh, just wanted to say that I'm... sorry."

"Hm?" The beastkin's fingers parted so he could peek between them, one ear slanting forward to fix on the hen. He was genuinely interested now.

"For, uh..." She hesitated again, which gave that little voice in the back of her head a chance to insist on aborting. 'Gryphons never apologize!' it shrieked. 'Take what you want, do what you want, and damn the consequences!'

Kira scowled, her beak clacking with irritation. "Oh hush."

"Excuse me?" Rhaelyn had uncovered his eyes, and his undivided attention was entirely settled upon the gryphon now. Well, ninety percent of his attention, anyway. At least ten percent was still distinctly distracted by the ache in his loins, but he was trying to shut that out.

The hen rolled her eyes to one side, averting her gaze. "Oh, um, I mean... er... I just wanted to apologize for, uh, attacking you."

Rhaelyn snorted again, but he didn't say anything. His hand settled back over his eyes, and he tried putting some serious effort into falling asleep.

It wasn't that he really wanted to be rude to the hen, but he was too horny, too achy, and far too tired to play along with her half-assed apology game. Honestly, he would have to be a fool not to recognize the pattern. First she would brutalize him, accidentally or otherwise, and then came the apologies and the promise of sexual favors. Then by morning, she'd be right back to teasing and taunting until she'd chanced upon another opportunity to tenderize him.

Kira frowned, bumping the panther's jaw lightly with her beak. "No, seriously. I am. It's just that, uh..." she paused again, studying the beastkin for a moment before she sighed. She absently stroked along his rigid length again, as if it somehow gave her the confidence to speak. "It's just hard, is all."

The panther groaned softly, absently wishing - and not for the first time - that the hen would find something else to do with her talons. "Mf... you're telling me."

She seemed to miss his muttered comment, continuing as if uninterrupted. "I just, uh, it's like there's this part of me that... well, there's a part of me that likes hurting people. And it's, um... it's really hard to ignore sometimes."

"Kira..."

"N-.. no, Ser Rhaelyn." Kira continued quickly, heading the beastkin off at the verbal pass. "I just, um... I have to say this. I just want you to know that I, uh-"

The panther rapped his knuckles lightly against the hen's beak, startling her into silence. "It's fine. You're a gryphon. I understand." And a brief pause, before he looked her in the eye. "You don't need to apologize."

"I-" Kira blinked, somewhat taken aback. "I don't?"

Rhaelyn pursed his lips, whiskers twitching as he reconsidered that phrasing. "Okay, no, you DO need to apologize for getting carried away during our sparring match, but you've just done that. So now, no, you don't have anything else to apologize for."

The gryphon considered that for a moment, her brow furrowed. Really, she felt like she should be relieved at being let off the hook so easily, but she couldn't shake a few nagging doubts. "Really?"

"Really," he sighed. He tried to add a note of finality to his voice this time, but he knew that the hen wasn't going to let it go. "Look, Kira, I've had some time to think about this, and I'm fairly certain I know what's going on."

Kira blinked again, her neck craned as she abruptly seemed to find a new fascination in studying the stars. "Oh?"

Rhaelyn glanced at the gryphon, suppressing a soft chuckle as he slowly pushed himself up into a sitting position. His body protested, every muscle aching as he ****** himself upright, but it was a sensation that he was rapidly growing accustomed to.

"I know that you have, ah..." he paused delicately, trying to think of the best way to put it. "I know that you have feelings for me, Kira."

"I do not!"

The beastkin eyed the suddenly defiant hen, a faint smirk gracing his lips. Apparently the stars had lost their allure already, because she was staring at him again. Still, despite her fervant objection, it had come far too quickly and far too forcefully for him to take seriously. "You do. You like me."

"I hate you!" She hissed, her eyes narrowed as she tried to look appropriately put-off by the panther's assumptions. It was hard, though, since she was doing her damndest not to blush. Had she really been so obvious about her fascination with the pantherkin? In retrospect, she had to admit that she had been rather ham-fisted in her approach.

Rhaelyn laughed softly, patting the hen lightly on the shoulder. "Yes, of course. You hate me so much that you flirt and look for excuses to feel me up at every opportunity. I mean, look-" He glanced down at his lap, where the hen's taloned hand was still tucked conspicuously into his pants.

Kira followed his glance, and this time she did blush. She was again thankful that her feathers and fur kept the heat of her embarrassment from being too obvious, but she opted to hedge her bets. With a twitch of her talons, she curled her scaled fingers rather unsubtly about a more vulnerable part of the male's swollen nethers.

The panther winced, one of his own hands quickly settling between his legs before the hen could start bearing down. Not, of course, that he could actually stop her if she had a mind to start squeezing. "N-... now hold on, Kira."

She drew in a deep breath, using the scant few seconds that her unorthodox tactic had bought to think of an appropriate response. There was, of course, the impulse to just start squeezing. She had done it before, after all, and it really did seem to be an effective way to get the panther to shut up. But, on the other hand...

"Sh-... shut up!" She blurted, her head cocked in what she hoped was a casually dismissive manner. It wasn't. "My interests in you begin and end with the contract I signed with the House fa Soren."

"Right, and the beak jo-" and the panther winced as, unsurprisingly, the hen's grip tightened ever so slightly. Toes curled, the beastkin shivered as he couldn't help but picture those claws wrapped about his kittenmakers. Still, he wasn't about to let the gryphon intimidate him.

"K-... Kira, wait." It took a concerted effort to keep the rising panic out of his voice, but Rhaelyn somehow managed it. "Look, you can squeeze my balls all you want, b-... but we still need to get this out in the open."

Kira set her beak, eying the beastkin for a long moment before she relaxed her grip. "All I want?"

The panther's ears were instantly slicked back, his thighs tensed as he very briefly considered trying to pry the hen's fingers off of him entirely. He knew better than to try, though. "If, ah... if that's what you want, but I'd take it as a personal favor if you wouldn't."

She rolled her eyes, smiling despite herself. Her embarrassment was forgotten for the moment. "Tease. But fine."

Rhaelyn cleared his throat, his ears flicked forward now as he glanced down at his lap again. "Ah, and it would really make me more comfortable if you would, er... let go before we continue...?"

Kira scowled. "Don't push it."

"Right." He sighed, looking just a tad crestfallen, but it was hardly surprising. Now he just needed to tread lightly, lest he should end up singing soprano for the fourth time in as many days. "Well, ah, this is what I'm talking about."

The hen's scowl deepened, but her grip remained lax. "What is?"

"The, ah..." Rhaelyn gestured downward, but he kept his gaze on Kira's face. "Well, you're the one who started talking about gryphon courting rituals and the like. You, uh, forget that I'm learned in the ways of your kind."

Kira kept her expression carefully neutral. It was impossible to deny the pit that was forming in her stomach, though. "So what? I was just teasing you, you idiot."

"Of course," the panther replied, his tone just as even. "That's what I thought at first, too, but then I... ah... well, it got me thinking."

'Ugh,' the voice muttered in the back of Kira's head. 'More thinking.'

"Did you know that of the thirty-eight rites of courtship practiced by the different tribes of gryphons, thirty of them involve casual violence?" Rhaelyn winced again as the hen's scaled fingers twitched, but he continued once it became apparent that she was just shifting her grip. "And, ah... well, for most gryphons, violence without bloodshed is considered a sign of... interest."

Kira snorted, but she didn't say anything. Why should she? It was an absurd observation! And stupid, too, just like the beastkin's stupid face. His stupid, oddly handsome face.

"And, ah... and it would make sense that you might find me attractive-"

"Which I don't." She interjected.

He continued as if uninterrupted. "As you've said, you were raised amongst beastkin, and you haven't said much about your encounters with your own kind."

The hen rolled her eyes, her head tilted back as she couldn't help but look exasperated. "Ugh, don't even get me started on THEM."

"Exactly." Rhaelyn arched a brow, eying the hen pointedly. "Hence your obvious attraction toward me, instead."

Kira scowled again, "That's ridiculous! You're ugly and stupid and... and... infuriating..." She grasped desperately for more negatives to assign to the obnoxious beastkin, but she was having an awfully hard time thinking of any. "... and fragile... and I like your fur."

He arched a brow. "You like my...?"

The hen grunted, her eyes narrowed. "N-... no, I meant to say that your fur is short and dumb. I just, uh, you've got me all flustered!"

Rhaelyn chuckled, shaking his head slightly. "It's fine, Kira. I've seen other gryphons act exactly the same way, especially when they become enamored with someone."

Kira clacked her beak shut, eying the panther again. Was this somehow his fault? Had he studied gryphon courting rituals to subtly manipulate innocent, unwitting hens? Or, well, did he have some kind of magic that would explain her conflicted feelings?

The beastkin fidgeted a bit, growing a little uncomfortable at the prolonged silence. Kira was just staring at him now, and he was having no luck in trying to read her expression this time. "N-... not that I've had much first-hand experience, mind you, but this is certainly how The Queen acted when-"

"Wait, no, stop." Kira was agape, her head pulled back as she stared even harder at the panther. "You are NOT going to tell me that The Queen had a THING for you!"

It was the panther's turn to look sheepish now, his ears skewed as he rubbed the back of his neck. Swallowing hard, he murmured uncertainly. "Ah, well..."

"The leader of the Shardclaw Tribe," Kira sounded incredulous now. "Self-proclaimed Queen of all wild gryphons. The black cloud that rules the wastes uncontested from the Salted Plains to the Fire Peaks."

"Well, I did have to kill three of her hunters to prove myself." Rhaelyn offered, lamely.

"Huh." Kira sat up a bit, her wings ruffling as she considered that. "Wow, if The Queen busted your balls, then it's a wonder you have any left at all!"

Rhaelyn coughed, his ears twitched back at even the slightest THOUGHT of that beast having a go at his delicates. "N-... no, she didn't do THAT, but... ah..." He cleared his throat, trying to shake the thought of The Queen with her talons about his nethers. It was bad enough dealing with Kira's talons, and she was adorable. Well, maybe only semi-adorable, given the circumstances.

"But, ah, she DID almost break three of my ribs." The panther mused, patting his side. "And she almost took my ear off with what I'm sure she thought was a playful nibble."

Kira still seemed at a loss - even moreso now that she was trying to imagine The Queen trying to be playful. She had only glimpsed her once, and 'playful' was not an adjective that she would ever use to describe that creature. Horrifying seemed more appropriate. Or nightmare-inducing. But playful? Never.

"Hold on," she finally ventured. "Is that why she wants-"

"Besides," Rhaelyn continued hastily. "Gryphons are hardly the only ones who use misdirected violence to show their interests." And he gave a calculated pause, one ear twitching to angle toward the hen as he mused aloud. "Remind me to tell you about my first girlfriend some time."

Kira eyed the panther warily - was HE trying to change the subject? That was HER move! And she really wanted to know what was up with Rhaelyn and The Queen, now more than ever! But... then again... this new subject did sound rather promising. Especially if it had even the slightest relevance to her own conflicted state.

"Fine," she sighed. "So tell me about your girlfriends."

Rhaelyn clucked his tongue, tapping the gryphon's beak with one finger. "Just my first girlfriend. You hardly need to know about every sordid detail of my long and storied life, romantic or otherwise."

The hen rolled her eyes dramatically, but she bobbed her head in agreement. "Like I would even WANT to know that." That voice in the back of her head disagreed on that count, but she pointedly ignored it.

He smirked, but the panther didn't question her response. Ears slanted forward, he glanced down at his crotch, clearing his throat. "So, ah, can you... let go now?"

Kira snapped her beak shut, fixing one eye on the panther in an unwavering stare. "What do YOU think?"

"Hmf," he uttered a resigned grunt, but he didn't argue. "Fine, whatever."

"So come on!" She grinned, giving the panther the slightest squeeze. He winced and stifled a soft squeak, and Kira made no effort to hide her giggle. "Your girlfriend! Spill it, already!"

Rhaelyn snorted, squirming just a bit as he impotently pushed one hand against the female's wrist. It had absolutely no effect in getting her to ease her grip. "Nnnh... r-... right, well, my FIRST girlfriend."

Kira rolled her eyes once more, squeezing just a little harder. "Right. Your FIRST girlfriend. You unbelievable stud."

He eyed her for a second, then grumbled faintly as he continued regardless of her sarcasm. "Yes, well, she was a girl I had grown up with-"

"Was she a gryphon?" Kira chirped, innocently.

"What? No, of course not." Rhaelyn scowled, flicking her beak. He winced as she gave him another quick squeeze. "Nhg... l-... look, do you want me to tell you about her or not?"

Kira relaxed her grip, sticking her tongue out the beastkin. Honestly, he was such a baby. Just as well, though - she couldn't actually see them, but it felt like his balls had swollen so badly that she could barely fit her talons around them.

He eyed her for another long moment, before finally continuing. "Right, so, as I was saying. She was a cheetah - the daughter of one of my clan's guards, I think. Her name was Raff-"

Kira snorted, "Raff? That's a stupid name."

Rhaelyn frowned. "It's short for Raffina."

"Still stupid." She wasn't jealous or anything. Oh no, of course not.

The panther rolled his eyes back, making the conscious effort to curb his tongue. He silently counted to ten, then continued. "So, her name was Raff, and she was almost the same age as me. Perhaps two or three seasons younger."

"So..." Kira drawled, listening raptly. But not raptly enough to stop interrupting. "Was she pretty?"

"Eh," he shrugged. "She was alright, I suppose. I mean, I don't know if you've met many cheetahkin, but they're built thin and lanky. All that running around in the flatlands, I suppose. Athletic, but it doesn't make for very generous curves."

Kira snorted, just a little bitter. "Well, curves are over-rated anyway. Too awkward."

"Er... right." Rhaelyn hesitated, suddenly acutely aware that he should be choosing his words carefully. "But, ah, yes. She was a tomboy. I'm not sure if it was because she wanted to fit in with my brothers and I, or because her father was a warrior-type, but she generally dressed as masculinely as possible. Short-cropped hair, breeches, leather vest. One of those stupid hats, ah... a cap, I guess?"

Kira tilted her head to one side, peering blankly. "I don't wear hats."

"Well, ah, right. Er, anyway, when we were young she was basically just one of the guys." Rhaelyn paused, thinking back on his youth. "She was actually always kind of a bully, now that I think about it. I suppose she didn't want anyone to think that she was weak or dainty just because she was a girl."

The hen quirked a brow. "And you went out with this girl?"

"Er, not right away, no." He pursed his lips, whiskers twitching thoughtfully. "But, ah, well we knew each other for almost forty seasons. We played together, we trained together, and somewhere along the line I suppose she developed something of a crush on me."

"Ha, what an idiot." Kira grinned. Honestly, how could someone fall for the panther so easily? Oh, uh, wait-

"ANYway-" he continued. "She, ah, I suppose she didn't want to break the illusion that she was a tough, no-nonsense kind of girl, so she didn't express her interests like a sane person. Instead, she started bullying me every chance she got."

"What," Kira snorted. "So now it's insane to push you around?"

Rhaelyn rolled his eyes back a little, but he didn't rise to the hen's bait. He wasn't going to give her an excuse to start emasculating him again - no more than she already had, anyway. "It was confusing at first. I started trying to avoid her, but she would just work that much harder at always being around me. Where ever I went, there she would be."

"Man, talk about clingy." Kira stuck her tongue out, wriggling a little closer to the panther. "Kind of pathetic, when you think about it."

"Er..." Rhaelyn hesitated again, then shrugged and snuggled right back. "Right. Of course. So, er, the more I tried to avoid her, the more frustrated she seemed to get. My brothers weren't any help, and my sister only seemed to encourage her, so eventually I decided to settle things myself."

"Oh yeah?" Kira grinned anew, her beak nestled up beneath the panther's chin. "So, what'd you do?"

The panther sighed, rolling his eyes a little - not at the gryphon, for once, but rather at his own stupidity. "So I challenged her to a fight."

Kira laughed, "You didn't!"

"I did." He groaned softly, absently rubbing his temple with one hand. "I was, ah... I suppose I must have been nineteen, maybe twenty summers at that point, and I had just finished training in hand-to-hand combat under one of my tutors, so it seemed like a good idea. My, ah, siblings certainly seemed to think so."

The hen giggled and snorted, trying her utmost to keep a straight face. "S-... so, ha... snrk... w-... what happened?"

He grumbled, eyes closed for a moment. "So there we are, in the sparring pit behind the Clanhouse armory with my sister and all of my brothers watching, and I felt pretty confident about it. Oh, she was fast, sure, but I was stronger and better trained. Or I thought I was, anyway."

Kira arched a brow, "So you lost, then?"

"Tch, that's an understatement." Rhaelyn sighed again, absently worming one arm beneath the gryphon to curl it about her body. She responded in kind by draping a wing over him like a feathery blanket. "So we warm up, we exchange some absolutely awful trash talk, and then she takes off her top - and all of a sudden I remembered that she was, well... I just suddenly became very aware that I was fighting a girl."

Kira giggle-snorted again, but the panther ignored her as he continued with his tale. "So there she is, topless, bouncing around in some kind of savannah-fighting martial arts stance, and I can't stop staring at her chest. All of a sudden, I just couldn't even remember why I was fighting her - and then I had an erection."

"No!"

Rhaelyn muttered, his hand draped over his eyes now. "Yes. And she knew it. Hell, everyone knew it - my brothers and sister both. So, ah, I'm stammering, trying to cover myself up and talk my way out of the fight, and she's grinning like a Cheshire-"

"A what?" Kira furrowed her brow. She wasn't familiar with that term.

"A Cheshire, it's-" Rhaelyn paused, abruptly off-track. "It's, ah, like an innately magical kind of feline beastkin that- no, look, it's not important. She was grinning wide, alright?"

Kira grinned, too, bobbing her head a little. "Right, okay, so then what?"

"So then she shrugs, and offers me a handshake like it's all water under the bridge," he mused. "And at that point, I was grateful to accept. Anything to get my siblings to stop laughing at me."

"Oh," Kira sounded a little disappointed. "That's it?"

He grunted, "I wish, but no. So I'm shaking her hand, which left me with only one hand on my crotch - and THAT hand is busy trying to cover up my first public arousal, not my balls, and that's just how she had planned it."

The hen gaped, both brows arched. "She didn't!"

Rhaelyn snorted, "Oh yes, she certainly did. She stepped back and punted me right between the legs. I, ah, don't really recall the specifics, but my sister tells me that she hit me so hard that I lifted right up off the ground. She was, ah, wearing these plated guardsman's boots too, so I really felt it."

"Aww, you poor kitten." Kira crooned, trying her damndest not to giggle again. She tried to caress the panther's poor balls sympathetically, but even that light tough was enough to make him wince in pain. Or maybe he was wincing at the memory.

"And, ah, that was that." Rhaelyn groaned. "I was out. I mean, ah, I've been told that she actually kicked me two more times before I passed out, but I honestly don't... ah... well, I don't remember that. I just remember the first kick, and then a blinding pain, and then waking up in the infirmary a day later feeling like my balls had exploded."

"But they hadn't?" Kira purred, her ears perked with rapt interest.

"Er, no," he uttered, eying her warily. "Of course not. I mean, er, I still have them, don't I?" He cleared his throat, toes curled lightly. "But, er, she was there at my bedside, and oh-so-apologetic about the whole thing. She explained her feelings to me, and apologized a thousand times, and- ah... well, we started seeing each other not long after that."

Kira considered the story for a moment, one brow quirked. "She didn't get in trouble? You're, like, a noble or something, right? And she was a servant's daughter?"

Rhaelyn snorted, "Oh, no, she didn't get in trouble at all. It turned out that my siblings had covered the whole incident up to, ah, 'protect my honor'. They told everyone that it was a training accident. That I had been practicing with polearms and I had accidentally nutted myself."

Kira worked her beak for a moment, sounding out that word to herself. Nutted. That was a new one, and she added it to her arsenal of terminology. "And, what, that worked?"

"Well, there were certainly some... questions, but my family didn't want to press the issue. It was far too embarrassing." He grunted, eyes rolled once more in an intensely familiar gesture of exasperation with just a touch of disgust. "Although my mother did forbid me from ever touching a polearm again. She was worried that I might not be able to give her heirs."

There was silence for a moment, other than Kira's renewed efforts to keep herself from giggling. She finally spoke up again, though, bumping her beaktip against the beastkin's chin. "So, uh, you two went out after that? How'd that work out?"

Rhaelyn smirked, shaking his head ever so slightly. "Just how you would expect it to, I suppose. She was, ah... aggressive. We were just of age, and full of lusts and emotions, so it was a very... physical relationship. My studies actually started to suffer, given how often the two of us were- nf..."

Kira relaxed her grip, realizing that she had started reflexively bearing down on the male's genitals once more. Her tone even, she ****** herself to ease up on the male's plums before prompting him once more. "Please, go on."

"Er, w-... well..." The panther panted softly, his free hand draped over the gryphon's own. "Nf... th-... that's it, I suppose. It was an odd mix of, ah, sex and abuse. She seemed to like the cycle, and I... well... I was just happy to be having sex."

"Oh, I'll bet you were." Kira snorted, barely curbing her bitter tone. "So, what happened? Are you still seeing each other?"

"Oh gods, no." Rhaelyn sounded almost aghast at the idea. "Ah, I mean, no. We grew apart over time and, well, my parents eventually started to catch on. There's only so many ways that you can try to explain why your youngest son is constantly limping - riding accidents, sparring accidents, muggings, low-flying birds - my sister even took credit once or twice, to cover for Raff."

Kira rolled her head to one side, audibly working a crick out of her neck. "Did she? I mean, ah, did she actually kick you too?"

"Mm? Oh, ah... well," He seemed hesitant to talk about that, the tip of his tail flicking back and forth at his side. "No, not until after she, er, started trying to cover for Raffina. She, ah, claimed that it was to make the cover story more plausible, but really I think she was just trying to scare off the arranged suitors that my parents kept setting her up with."

"But, ah, anyway, it all fell apart after the winter festival in aught-seven." He paused briefly, leaning down to lick lightly over the gryphon's beaktip. It was a carefully calculated maneuver, intended to keep her from reacting negatively - after all, he had already drawn a distinct connection between her tendency to squeeze every time he mentioned sleeping with Raffina.

Kira practically swooned, but she managed to keep her giddiness internalized. "Y-... yeah? And, uh, what happened?"

Rhaelyn chuckled, "I think we had stopped by the hot springs - it was cold, and the magical springs in Karash are popular during the winter months - and I suppose I had said something stupid."

"No way. You?" Kira uttered, her expression deadpan.

"OR maybe I was looking at the other topless girls a little too much," he continued without pausing. "Raff was always a little self-conscious about her figure, since she was more muscle than curve." And a wince as Kira subconsciously bore down again - apparently any talk about 'curves' was one of her hot buttons, too.

"Nf-... ah-... s-... so, whatever the reason, she found an excuse to get me alone and squeeze my delicates until I was nearly crying-"

Kira grinned, "Hey, just like I-"

"AND," Rhaelyn continued, talking right over the giddy gryphon. "Then she apologized for over-reacting, and wanted to 'make it up to me' with sex-"

"Hey," Kira's eyes were wide now. "Just like-"

"SO-" the panther continued unabated, brow arched as he eyed the suddenly blushing hen. "She dragged me off to my bedroom at the Clanhom estate and we, ah, well you know."

The panther paused for breath, and Kira gleefully seized the opportunity to interject. "So you could still perform after that?"

Rhaelyn snorted, his ears twitching. "Not very well, no, but it's amazing how swiftly the libido bounces back when you have a willing femme straddling your lap."

"No kidding," she smirked. She didn't even sound annoyed this time, instead finally shifting her grip from his aching balls to his equally aching member once more. The panther groaned, not exactly relieved by her sudden change in mood.

"R-... right, so, uh... it turned out that when she had spent ten minutes squeezing my balls, we hadn't been... nf... nearly as... ah..." He cleared his throat, suddenly feeling particularly... vulnerable. "Well, it turned out that it hadn't been as private a place as we had thought. A member of a rival clan had seen it, and the rumors started flying."

"Aw," Kira actually sounded sympathetic this time.

"Yes, 'aw'." Rhaelyn frowned. "My parents heard about it remarkably swiftly, and they burst into my chambers to confront me about it, and-" A pause, a sigh, and a roll of his eyes for emphasis. "So there I was, groaning in pain and pleasure with Raffina mounted atop me, and-..."

"Well," he murmured solemnly. "Long story short-"

"Too late." Kira grinned. She was quick to amend, though, as she saw the panther's expression darken. "But I don't mind. It's been a great story!"

"Hmf, right, well... long story short," he continued. "As you said, she was the daughter of the servant, and I am of noble blood. She was banned from the estate, her father was fired and blacklisted from working at any Clan-approved establishment in Karash, and I was forbidden from ever talking to her again."

"Aw," Kira uttered again. She was conflicted - on the one talon, she was happy to know that she didn't have more competition to deal with, but on the other talon she had to admit that it was a rather sad end to the panther's first love. Or, er, his first lust. Whatever.

"And you never saw her again?" she crooned.

He snorted, "Of course we saw each other again. Her father moved away - to, ah, Forgetown I think - but she was a grown woman so she stayed in Karash. My parents had threatened to disown me if I continued seeing her in secret, though, so eventually I had to... well... I had to sit her down and give her 'the talk'."

The hen frowned a little. That sounded awfully ominous. "Er, yeah? And how did that go?"

Rhaelyn closed his eyes lightly, hand set right back against his temple once more. "How do you think? I'll tell you, though, it was a valuable learning experience. That was the first and last time I ever tried to give 'the talk' to a girl wearing boots with heel irons in them."

Kira snickered, patting the male's crotch fondly. "Aw, you poor kitten." She didn't sound particularly sympathetic, this time. More along the lines of amused and patronizing.

The panther sighed, one ear twitching with faint agitation. "But, well, it was a good thing in the long run. It encouraged me to begin traveling abroad, since there was little tying me to the Clanhome in Karash - honestly, I was happy to get away from the ridiculous and embarrassing rumors that were circulating."

Kira snickered a little harder, "Sure, ridiculous and completely unfounded, I bet."

He chuckled softly, a little amused himself - but his ear still twitched a little in faint annoyance. "Mmn, right, well... ultimately it was a good thing. I became an adventurer. Met like-minded individuals. Made a name for myself."

The hen arched a brow, head lifted and neck craned as she set herself beaktip-to-nose with the panther. "You mean you've actually managed to go on adventures without getting yourself *********?"

Rhaelyn chuffed softly, exhaling against the gryphon's beak. "I'll have you know that I've saved the world. Twice, even. Three times, at a stretch."

Kira chuffed right back, skepticism practically dripping from her voice. "Oh yeah?"

He frowned, his hand gently pushing the hen's head back down to his chest. "I have. Even with your minimal education, you must have heard about the war against Queen Cygna. The Bitch Queen of legend? Scourge of the north, flayer of men, and necromancer without peer?"

The gryphon stuck her tongue out at the panther again, but she happily settled her head back against his chest. She decided to humor him. "Sure, it was a really big deal. But that was, what, twenty seasons ago?"

"Twenty-two," Rhaelyn nodded. "I was only a novice geomancer back then, but I was part of the elite team that was integral in bringing her down. Myself and six others."

Kira snorted, "I heard that was some alleycat." She paused as she wracked her brain, ears perked thoughtfully. What had his name been? It was something stupid... "Oh, right, Saga. He's got all those dumb stories about how he stopped the Bitch Queen's armies. They sell them in all the beastkin cities."

The panther curled his lip, looking genuinely irritated for a second. "Don't you DARE mention his-" And a ****** pause as he drew in a deep breath. Once again, he found himself silently counting to ten. "Yes, he was there, but he... ah... wasn't the only one. I was there as well. It was a team effort, with each one of us playing a vital role in our success."

"Well, why don't you tell me about it?" Kira still sounded skeptical, but the beastkin certainly seemed passionate about it.

"Ah," Rhaelyn hesitated. "N-... no, that's a long story, and... hf... I really am tired." He yawned, ears twitching back a little as the desire to sleep came back in full force. How long had he been talking, anyway?

"Aw," and this time it was a sound of genuine disappointment. Kira licked lightly along one edge of her beak, her eartufts flicked forward. "Well, did... um... did Raffina help you save the world?"

"Mmm?" The panther's eyes were closed now, but he clearly hadn't had time to actually fall asleep yet. "No, ah, I hear that she served admirably in the military efforts against the Bitch Queen, though. Joined some mercenary troop dedicated to wilderness scouting or some such."

"Then who...?"

Rhaelyn opened one eye, stifling an exhausted sigh. He really was tired. Very tired. "Hff... ah... well, there was me of course. And, ugh, Saga. Don't let the stories fool you, he's not a hero, he's just a thief. And... hm... well, there were others, but they came and went."

And a pause, as he looked to the gryphon - and a sigh as he saw that she was still paying rapt attention. "There was Al, our archer. And Garant. I, ah, never got to know him very well. I think he was a warrior from one of those sabertooth tribes from the hinterlands. Mm... and there was Gale, she was our healer, and Nocht - he was her mate."

"What did he do?" she queried, quietly. Her voice was barely a whisper, and her eyes were lidded. It was obvious that despite her enthusiasm, the panther's weariness was beginning to grow contagious.

"Mm... assassin. They were always an... odd pair." Rhaelyn yawned, his ears twitching back a little. "A shame. He, ah... didn't make it. And there was Veridia, of course. She was... well... she was something. But that's a story for another time."

"Mm-hm?" Kira licked along the other edge of her beak now, smiling a little as she glanced downward. She was barely listening now, her attentions wandering as that little voice in the back of her head reminded her of something. "Um, Ser Rhaelyn? D-... do you think that I should... do something about that e-rekt-shun-" and a pause as she resounded the word out in her head, repronouncing it with greater proficiency. "The, mmr... erection... before you sleep?"

The panther sighed, his hand draped over his eyes to block out the world. Honestly, he would like nothing better than to let off a little pressure, but he knew that any attempt at... ah... release would just keep him awake and in more pain than he could tolerate right now.

"Mnf... Kira, that is an absolutely awful idea."

"Oh...?" She seemed crestfallen at the rejection.

Rhaelyn peeked from between his fingers, his whiskers twitching as he couldn't help but notice her hurt tone. "Er, I mean, I'm too tired and in too much pain to even... hf... any effort to 'handle' my problem would, ah, well. It would be quicker to just punch me in the balls."

Kira perked, grinning just a bit. "Well, I can do that too!"

And he stifled a groan, his hand moving to lightly caress the hen's beak. "No thank you. Just, hf... just... can we cuddle for one night? I promise, I'll make it up to you."

"Mf, you better!" she muttered. But she smiled, and she didn't even protest when he not-so-subtly tugged her hand from his pants. She just curled her forelimb about him instead, her eyes closed to slits as she settled comfortably against the panther.

Rhaelyn smiled softly, eying the gryphon for a brief moment before closing his own eyes as well, blissfully drifting off toward a blissful and only slightly-troubled slumber. Yes, this was certainly something he could get used to. He just... what would his Clan think...?

And just as suddenly, he was awake again. Sleep had eluded him. He... had a lot more things to think about, now.

Another excellent story as always Saga. That cheetah girl would be a great candidate for a spin off

Goodness, I guess I've been in a writing mood lately. I've actually finished AGT part 6 well ahead of schedule, and after giving it the twice-over I've decided that I'm actually happy with it. Granted, this part is shorter than part 4 or 5, but it's also longer than the first three. I think it hits a nice middle-ground in length and content.

This chapter also marks my first serious effort at expanding the Gryphon's Tail universe, setting the seeds for many future stories to come. Honestly, I already have ideas for the next major story arc, but I have to finish this one first! Hopefully it doesn't get old before then.

As always, I'm happy to hear comments and critiques. I've only been doing this for a few months, and I'm well aware that I can stand to improve in many areas. Regardless, though, I hope you enjoy it.

Once more, a most excellent chapter, Saga, complete with your guest appearance.

As to comments, I’m pleased you’ve ditched the “all italic” presentation, and I found realism and warmth in this instalment.

(I know, realism in fantasy sounds daft, but it’s there!)

I don’t do critique, any more, on this forum.

If I did, it would be almost all positive for your work.
    Alec Anaconda

eBooks_by_ALEC_ANACONDA

Big Supporter
    I made more progress over the past day than I had anticipated, and after powering through a good chunk of what I had PLANNED to make the final part of A Gryphon's Tail... well, I decided to go ahead and chop it in half. It was already getting toward 80kb in size, larger than ANY of the other parts, so I went ahead and trimmed it back so that you can get another installment as quickly as possible. Part VIII will now be the final part, followed by the Epilogues.

Now the down side is that Part VII here is mostly set-up for the big finish, so it's a little slow as far as the general theme of the stories goes. But hey, Rhaelyn and Kira talk about their feelings, the panther reveals even more about his mysterious past, and they even get to fight a monster! Plus, there's a new face and a few old ones as well. Hopefully this will be enough to tide you over for the time being.

A Gryphon's Tail, Part VII

All Good Things...

When morning finally came, Rhaelyn was thoroughly exhausted - both physically and mentally. He had spent the last few hours thinking about-, well no, that wasn't accurate. He had spent the last few hours worrying about things that he had no power over.

There was Kira, of course. He couldn't even begin to count the number of potential difficulties that they would have to surmount if he actually DID want to... be with her. And his family, of course. If they had threatened to disown him over a tryst with a cheetah, what would they think about an infatuated gryphon? Perhaps it would be best if he simply let her down preemptively, to save them both the drama, but he really didn't relish the thought of having 'the talk' with her.

And honestly, none of that even mattered if the two of them didn't make it through the Fire Peaks and the Smoldering Woods beyond. They had made good time over the past few days, given the circumstances, but there were still at least two days of hard trekking ahead of them - and that was assuming that their luck held, and they avoided any more random encounters with both the Queen's hunters and the local meta-magical wildlife.

Eventually, though, he grew so weary that sleep pierced through even the densest layers of worry, and he managed to drift off into a fitful and troubled slumber.

And, just as quickly, Kira had been shaking him awake again. It was morning, the sun was already climbing rapidly into the sky, and it was time to continue on.

An hour later, Kira waited patiently at the foot of the plateau. The panther had been reluctant to rise at first, and had yawned all through their quick breakfast of dried fruit and berries. Now he was ostensibly making last-minute preparations for the day's travel, although he had insisted on privacy while he did so.

The hen giggled softly to herself, her neck craned as she peered back up toward the plateau's edge. She had a fairly good idea of just what those 'preparations' might entail - she had certainly noticed that his pants were still tented - but she didn't tease him about it. She was just a little disappointed that he hadn't asked her to help.

Long minutes ticked by, and eventually the panther came limping down the steep sidepath that was hewn into the volcanic rock. He was impressively clean, given the volume of ash saturating the surrounding region, and he had changed into his only remaining set of untorn clothing. He had also taken one of the petrified branches from the lone tree in their campsite, and had turned it into a rather impressive walking stick.

Kira also couldn't help but notice that he had tied his old, torn cloak about his waist like a sash. It wasn't particularly stylish, but it DID make it difficult to tell if he still had an erection or not. From the vaguely disgruntled expression on his face, she was going to guess that he hadn't found much luck with... er... his morning exercises.

"So," the hen drawled as she moved to the panthers side. She crooked one taloned finger in the direction they were to be traveling, and the two quickly set a slow but steady pace through the valleys. "Did you get your rocks off?"

Rhaelyn almost looked aghast at the gryphon's audacity. "W-... what!?"

She snorted softly, making no effort to conceal her smile. "Those little magic rocks that you put all over the place. Did you dig them all back up?"

The panther sighed, leaning his weight onto the branch that was helping to keep him upright. Kira's speaking skills were impressively fluid, but she still needed some serious tutoring in how to properly phrase things.

"Mf, no." He grunted. "The magic is only good for half a day at best. Besides, by now they've probably been entirely consumed by earth elementals anyway."

Kira arched a brow, peering sidelong at the limping panther. Was he messing with her? "O... kay?"

He chuckled softly, reaching out with his free hand to lightly pat atop the hen's head. She liked it, but it still felt rather patronizing. "Don't worry about it, Kira. It's just how magic works."

She snorted - now she KNEW he was being patronizing. He was just lucky that they had places to be and a deadline to keep, or they'd be having words about that. Instead, she opted to punish him by changing the subject to something she was keener on talking about.

"Sure, whatever. So, uh, how are they hanging?"

Rhaelyn winced - there was that crude wording again. He was really going to have to talk to her about that, the next time they could find a moment where the threat of impending death wasn't looming over them. "Ah, well..."

Kira grinned, absently shifting her body to bump her flank up against the panther's side. He barely managed to keep his footing this time, but caught himself against his makeshift walking stick. She was a little alarmed at that, and briefly considered apologizing, but... nah.

"Come on, Ser Rhaelyn," she cajoled. "You're obviously still in pretty sorry shape, so I need to know if you can keep up or not. Will you be able to fight?"

"Ah, well..." he hesitated, but finally bobbed his head in an uncertain nod. "Yes, I think so. I just, erm..."

The gryphon arched a brow, increasing her pace until she had headed off the panther, where she set down to block his path. "You don't sound very sure."

Rhaelyn stopped short, teetering precariously before he caught himself. Grunting softly, he scowled down at the defiant hen for a few seconds before he gave a resigned shrug. "L-... look, Kira, I can only say that I'll do my best depending on the circumstances. But I can, hf... I can barely even walk straight."

Kira frowned, her gaze angled down at that strategically placed sash. "Well, er... how are they?"

He snorted, eyes closed for a brief moment. "Let's just say that I know how it feels to be a ratkin now."

Kira slowly tilted her head to the side. That reference was lost on her.

Rhaelyn chuckled softly, his ears slightly skewed. "A part of me, hf... wishes that I were always this well endowed, but... I don't think I'd be able to survive this kind of crippling trauma on a daily basis."

She furrowed her brow now, trying to decipher the panther's cryptic statements. Why did he always have to speak in riddles? Finally, understanding dawned, and she eyed the male anew. "Oh! Er, well... how big...?"

The panther paused, giving a moment's thought to just how they could be classified. He held out one hand, palm upward, as if he were holding a crystal ball. "Ah, well... mf... h-... have you ever seen a grapefruit...?"

Kira considered that, her wings ruffling against her back. That question didn't make any sense. Had they shrunk? "Er, aren't grapes really small?"

Rhaelyn snorted again, but he smiled. "N-... no, erm... let's just say that they're... swollen quite a bit larger than I'm comfortable with." And a sigh, as one ear twitched in vague irritation. "I'd be worried, if... ng... if I'd never had them swell up this badly before."

The gryphon was ALMOST skeptical at that statement, but... well... given what she knew about the panther it sounded like it might be plausible. She turned and started walking again, peeking back over her shoulder to make certain he was keeping up.

"So, uh... this happens to you a lot?"

"Well, not a LOT..." he muttered. He almost sounded bitter, but resignation took over halfway through the uttered statement. "But, ah... a lot more often than I'd like."

Kira snickered, "Oh yeah? Well, how often is as often as you'd like?"

Rhaelyn paused again, briefly at a loss for words, but he bounced back quickly. "Erm... zero times sounds good." And a sigh, as he shook his head. "But that's never how things work, so... hf... honestly, I'd be happy if I could keep it down to less than a dozen times a year."

"I, uh... wow." The gryphon's eyes were a little wide at this revelation, but again it was kind of hard for her to feel surprised. Still, as new as she was to nutting unfortunate panthers, that did seem like a rather excessive amount. "Er... and, uh, you're still...?"

"Hm?" He arched a brow, ears slanted forward as he continued to plod along behind the hen. "Still what?"

She frowned a little, glancing back at the male's crotch again. She had tested his plumbing personally, and he certainly SEEMED functional, so... "So you, uh, what? Drink a lot of healing goo, I guess?"

Rhaelyn snorted again, choking back a laugh. "Well, yes, I suppose I've had more than my share of 'healing goo'. But I-, ah... you know, I miss the days when I could go out on an adventure without getting my kittenmakers hammered into a pulp."

Kira perked an eartuft, considering that. First, there was the term - it was promptly added to her ever-growing lexicon of terminology. Second, given what he had told her about those kinds of injuries, she had some serious doubts that they'd be making kittens anyway, so the term was a little misleading. She didn't say that, though.

"You know," he continued. "This never used to happen."

The gryphon arched a brow, her tail swaying behind her thoughtfully. "What, adventures?"

"No," he mused. "I've been adventuring since I first turned twenty summers of age. I mean the, ah, rampant testicular trauma. That didn't start until I first met..."

And a scowl, as the panther considered that. Could that obnoxious little alleycat really be responsible for his misfortunes somehow? No, that hardly made any sense. He was a thief, not some kind of fate-weaving sorcerer.

"Until, ah, the war against the Bitch Queen's armies." he finished lamely.

Kira arched a brow once more, glancing back toward the limping panther. She was almost certain that's not what he was originally going to say, but again - she didn't question it. He was being uncharacteristically forthcoming today, and she didn't want to jinx it.

"Oh sure, we saved the world," he muttered. He didn't sound particularly enthused about that accomplishment, to be honest. "But getting that far was a nightmare. Every one of Cygna's soldiers seemed trained to go for as many cheap shots as beastkinly possible."

"Have you considered armor?" Kira ventured, peering back at the panther again. Gryphons didn't bother with the stuff, but it sounded like the male REALLY needed some.

"Ha!" Rhaelyn laughed sardonically, "Trust me, Kira. That always seemed to make things worse. The Bitch Queen's elite were generally satisfied with using hand-to-hand combat to cripple and maim, but the second you wore armor they turned to nastier weapons. Maces, flails, war staves. Her bounty hunters were even given specially crafted magical gear that would let them tear right through armor with their bare hands as if it were dry parchment."

And another sigh, as he gestured dismissively. "Besides, most armor gets in the way of my gifts. It's, ah... it's a wizard thing. You wouldn't understand."

Kira clacked her beak, pondering on that for a moment. "Wait, but you said that you helped defeat the, uh, Bitch Queen five years ago."

"Right," he confirmed. "The first time, anyway."

The hen blinked, peering back at the panther again. "What, you didn't kill her the first time?"

Rhaelyn rolled his eyes. "Oh, we killed her alright. She was dead as a doornail. It just, ah... didn't really slow her down as much as we had hoped it might. Remember, she was a necromancer."

"I don't know what that-" and she shook her head, trying to get herself back on track. "No, forget that. Uh, so how old are you now?"

The panther arched a brow, peering quizzically after the gryphon. Why did that matter? "Oh, ah... twenty-eight years of age, as of this winter?"

Kira cocked her jaw, a little surprised at that - he certainly didn't LOOK that old. That put him almost ten years older than she was. Was that awkward? Or, more to the point, did she care about the age difference? It only took her a split second to decide that no, she certainly did not. Given their violent lifestyles, most gryphons were lucky to live past thirty.

"So, uh, you said you got your balls, er... busted... by Raff when you were younger! Before the war!" She nodded smartly, certain that she had recalled his tale accurately.

"Oh, well, yes." The panther frowned a little, his ears twitched back as he nodded a confirmation. "In fact, Raff was the FIRST person to ever, er... bust..." he didn't like that phrase. His balls may have been bruised, but they certainly weren't busted.

"Yes, she was the first person to have ever rung my bells," he mused. "But she at least had the decency to give me a few weeks between each... ah... session. The Amazonian wolves had no such compunction."

He frowned now, absently rubbing his chin. "Besides, with Raff I was also getting sex on a regular basis. Trust me, if I had gotten to sleep with every wolf, dog, or dragon that had a mind to mangle my manhood then I'd hardly be complaining as much."

"Dragon?" Kira was a touch incredulous, but this was coming from the same panther who had claimed to be snuggle-buddies with The Gryphon Queen. Still, she had to assume that he was exaggerating.

Rhaelyn half-closed his eyes, rubbing at the bridge of his nose. He could feel a headache coming on. "Look, can we... I really don't want to talk about that, right now. Can we save the history lessons for after we've returned to civilization?"

Kira snorted, and for a moment she considered arguing - after all, he was the one who had brought it up in the first place - but she relented. If she was going to make a serious effort at winning the panther's heart, and other assorted organs, she was going to have to learn how to compromise. Regardless of what that voice in the back of her head was telling her.

"Fine." And she walked in silence for a moment, before peeking back over her shoulder at the male. "So, uh, how'd it go this morning?"

"What?" The panther was equal parts wary and innocent.

She grinned, powering right through his attempted verbal deflection. "Come on, we both know you were hard-up last night. So, uh, did you take care of it before we left?"

It was Rhaelyn's turn to blush now. The hen certainly had a... way with words. "I don't know what you're-"

"Rhaelyn." Kira locked a steady gaze on the squirming panther, a faint smile on her beak as she purred smugly. "Come on. I could hear you."

He blushed even harder now. Had she-...? How could she have heard him! He was so careful to be as quiet as possible, although he had to admit that there had been a bit of groaning and panting. How could there not be? His entire groin was like one big mass of bruises.

"W-... well..."

"Mmhm?" She grinned wider, in what she could only imagine might be 'cheshire-like'. Not enough teeth, though.

"Well, the desire is there." The panther grunted, his gaze averted as he sounded just a tad sullen. "But, ah, the current... state of the equipment makes it impossible to finish the job."

"Oh," the hen giggled. "You poor, poor kitten."

Rhaelyn muttered faintly, his ears slicked flat against his skull. His tail lashed back and forth behind him like a wary rattler. Still, it was his own fault, because he had insisted that the hen choose a new topic of conversation.

"L-... look, I'm sure it will be fine, once I've had some time to-"

And then a tree fell on him.

Kira blinked, stopping short as she peered back over her shoulder again. The panther was... he was gone! Or, no, there was a toppled tree where he had been standing - and not a lovely, verdant tree, but an ugly twisted thing. It was the only kind of tree that could ever survive in the Smoldering Woods, and even then it could barely even manage that, it's bark an ashen gray and it's numerous grasping branches devoid of leaves or wildlife.

Even as she watched, the tree slowly righted itself again with a sound akin to tortured lumber, taking the dazed pantherkin with it.

"R-... Ser Rhaelyn?" Kira gaped.

"Kira, I..." he shook his head, trying to recover his wits as swiftly as possible. "I think this tree is trying to eat me!"

As if on cue, the trunk of the tree cracked and split along it's length, folding apart to reveal dozens - no, hundreds - of splintery teeth. Even as long as it was, there was no way that the panther would fit into that jagged maw, but it was clear that the tree had no qualms about biting him into more easily handled chunks.

"What the f-" his voice cut off abruptly as the branches twisted and bent about, the panther suddenly upended as he began a disturbingly swift descent toward the aforementioned maw. It was clearly going to eat him head-first.

"Rhaelyn, hold on!" Kira leaped into action, but for the life of her she had no idea what to do. She had never fought a tree before!

The hen hurled herself bodily at the thing, her talons rending into unyielding bark and wood as she tore gaping furrows in the disconcertingly active foliage. It didn't draw blood, and at her current rate it was obvious that it would take her hours to actually cut down the tree in this manner, but it still got results. With a hissing shriek that set the adjacent - and thankfully less active - trees to trembling, the thing shifted its focus from the panther in its grasp to the gryphon that was trying to claw it to pieces.

"Ow ow ow ow!" Kira cried as she was flailed by a thousand tiny branches, each one crooked to end in a hook-like grasping digit. She was buffeted off of the tree's trunk, and her body twisted as she tried to scramble away as quickly as possible.

It bought Rhaelyn the time he needed, though. Dangling upside-down, the beastkin took quick stock of the tools available to him. He had lost his walking stick somewhere in the scuffle, but it would have been useless anyway. He had his sword and his dagger, of course, but those were likely to be useless as well. One by one he counted across the glittering rings that decorated his fingers-

Fire? No, if it didn't let go then he'd just end up burning alive. Lightning? Also no, because he was fairly certain that trees conducted electricity. If it didn't kill the thing, he'd just be cooking himself for its enjoyment. He was too far from the ground for earth manipulation to help, and- ah, of course!

A snap of his fingers, and a sudden burst of air tore through the animated shrubbery. Wood snapped, branches bent, and the beastkin was torn free from the grasping creature's grip. Oh, sure, he was now flipping end over end through the air instead, but it was a distinct improvement given the circumstances. At least the air wasn't trying to bite his head off.

Meanwhile, Kira had managed to roll and scramble her way clear. Her thick hide had protected her from the worst of the attacks, but she could still feel the itch of several dozen paper-thin cuts all over her body. This thing was horrible!

She twisted about, scanning the creature's branches as she tried to catch sight of the pantherkin. It only took a split second for her avian eyes to pick out his form, but-

Was he flying? No no no, that didn't seem right at all.

Rhaelyn flipped again and again, but he ****** himself to remain calm. He took one measured breath, then another, and another, and he abruptly folded his body to twist himself about. There was the ground, there was the tree, and - oh - there was Kira!

He rolled again, carefully positioning himself just before he hit the ground. Instead of landing head-first or crashing and skidding across the ashy woodland floor, he landed neatly on his feet. It was good to be a cat.

"Holy crap!" Kira gaped, darting over to his side. "I mean, wow! How in the world did you-"

Rhaelyn panted, wavering unsteadily as he glanced sidelong at the gryphon. "Kira, I'm going to need you to drag me to safety, because I'm fairly certain that I just fractured both of my ankles."

"Oh," she grimaced. That was less impressive. "W-... well, at least that thing's rooted in place, right? So we've got plenty of-"

The beast shrieked again, wrenching against the ground with it's hundreds of branches before it managed to rip itself free from the scorched earth. In place of roots, it instead had a thousand insect-like legs, and the whole creature lurched back and forth as it doggedly pursued the tiny morsels.

"Agh!" Kira cried again, as she turned tail to flee.

"K-... Kira!?" Rhaelyn peered after her, finally tumbling backward onto the ground. He was gripping his ankles, but he didn't have time to actually check on just how badly he had hurt them.

"Right, sorry! Sorry!" She panted as she darted back, her beak snapping shut about the male's cloak. She dug her talons into the ground as she dragged him backward, just before the tree could once again scoop him up off the ground.

The beastkin grunted as he tried to focus. His legs hurt, his head hurt, and of course his loins hurt, but he knew that he was the one who was going to have to kill this Treehemoth. He winced as the gryphon dragged him right over a rock that protruded from the ashen dirt, but he just grit his teeth and angled one clenched fist toward the monster that was hot on their heels.

A gout of flame burst from his favorite ring, searing the air and lighting the monster aflame. It shrieked in pain or frustration, but it didn't slow down. Now it was a giant panther-eating tree monster that was also on fire. Fantastic.

Rhaelyn ducked his head, barely avoiding a retaliatory lash from the beast's smoldering branches. It missed him, but smacked Kira right in the face instead, and the dazed hen abruptly lost her grip on her erstwhile charge's cloak as she reared backwards. Suddenly off-balance, she rolled back into the dry brush, leaving the beastkin where he sat.

"Oh." Rhaelyn frowned as he glanced over his shoulder, then back at the massive beast. "Well fine, let's see how you like this."

He planted one hand against the ground, clenching the other so tightly that his claws tore into his own palm. His jaw clenched, his teeth grating against each other, and sparks literally flew from the plain iron ring on his smallest finger.

The Treehemoth slowed as the earth began to shudder, but its hunger was too great to be put off by mere tectonic shifts. It reached forward with a hundred hungry hooks, but it's grasping limb was suddenly blocked as a wide sheet of volcanic stone was rent from the ground between the tree and it's prey.

Rhaelyn gasped for breath, trying to focus his all on channeling power through the ring. The slab had been buried deep so it had taken everything he had just to get it this far, but he couldn't stop just yet. The earth was split as the stone ground ever upward, until it towered so high that it dwarfed the Treehemoth.

"Alright, you bastard-" he practically bit his tongue, spitting out the words. "Eat this!"

And the slab slowly cocked, already balanced precariously on one end as it bore down on the woodland monster. The Treehemoth planted a dozen flaming limbs against it's smooth surface as it tried to push back, then a hundred, but it was simply too heavy. Ever so slowly, an inch at a time, it was driven into the ground as the stone toppled over onto it.

The pantherkin breathed a sigh of relief as the stone finally crashed down flush with the earth, crushing the tree-beast beneath it. Then he coughed and hacked, spitting up blood as the magics took their toll. The ring, once glistening and polished, swiftly dulled to an ugly gray sheen before abruptly bursting into a small cloud of flaking rust.

Kira groaned as she dragged herself back out of the brush, her wings flicking as she shucked twigs and pebbles out of her fur. She shook her head, trying to shake loose the cobwebs that were clinging to her brain, before fixing an eye on the devastation that had been wrought.

"W-... what the hell happened?"

"Well," Rhaelyn smiled faintly. He used the back of his sleeve to wipe away the blood trickling from his nose. "You might say that... rock beats paper?"

The gryphon stared at him for a moment, then rolled her eyes as she groaned aloud. "Ugh, that was AWFUL. Besides, everyone knows that paper beats rock, so that doesn't even make sense!"

"Hey," he frowned. "Give me a break. I was just almost eaten by a thrice-damned tree, for pity's sake! It was the first thing that came to mind!"

Kira laughed, padding over to where the panther was still sitting. She set beak-to-nose with him, her tongue flicked over his lips as she purred. "Well, I'm just glad you're alright."

"I, ah..." he blinked, his ears bolt upright. "Er, yes, I'm glad that you're alright as well, Kira."

He smiled, his hands set lightly to either side of the hen's head as he nuzzled against her beak in turn. They couldn't kiss - she didn't have the lips for that - but this was nice.

"K-... Kira, I'm happy, but I'm not quite ready for..."

She frowned, her head pulled back a little as she studied the panther's face. "What are you talking about?"

He glanced pointedly down at his lap, "I'm still going to need some recovery time before-" and the words died on his lips. He had expected to find the hen's talons curled against his nethers, but instead there was - what was that, a branch?

As if on cue, the massive stone shifted and cracked. With a groan that set the earth rumbling, it was suddenly displaced in a cloud of dust and ash, and the Treehemoth rose once more. It was bent and broken, but still very alive, and it wasn't about to let any mere FOOD get away with this kind of outrageous behavior!

"Oh come on," Rhaelyn almost whimpered. The whip-like branch curled about the most immediately available hold, the bulge at the panther's crotch, and wrenched him off of the ground in an abrupt motion.

"R-..." Kira stared, her eyes wide. She snapped out of her stupor swiftly, though, lunging upward to grab the panther's arms before he could be carried away entirely. "Rhaelyn! Hold on!"

"Agh!" He shrieked in turn, the searing pain in his loins redoubling as the gryphon's weight was suddenly added to his own. "Kira, ngh... y-... you're not helping!"

Kira gaped, and just as quickly she released the male, dropping back to the ground as she winced. "Sorry! Sorry! But it's going to eat you!"

The panther just groaned, trying to curl his legs around the Treehemoth's branches to relent on that horrible tearing pressure against his oft-abused nethers. Honestly, at this point he would welcome being eaten. One searing pain, and he could be put out of his misery. It would be like a sweet release, honestly. Perhaps not the same kind of sweet release he would get at, say, the Cat House in Karash, but still preferable to what was happening at this instant.

Kira whimpered a bit herself, ducking back to evade the lash of another broken clump of smoldering branches. She didn't know what to do! The beastkin had already tried dropping the world on this thing, and it was still trying to eat them. Even worse, it looked like the panther had given up entirely.

"Rhaelyn...!" The hen darted this way and that, trying to find an opening. But no, the thing seemed to have an endless supply of hooked branches and legs. "What do I doooo!?"

Rhaelyn just sighed one last time, trying to blot out the agony in his gut. He was fairly certain that his legs were broken, and he could only tell that his nethers hadn't ripped free because the beast was still holding him aloft by them. He... well, there was no choice. He was going to have to blow himself up.

He drew in a sharp breath through clenched teeth, his hands both curled tightly as he pressed his thumbs over the sheer black stones that were mounted on each middle finger. He knew what the void stones would do once he triggered them - he just never thought he would have to use them. Still, at the very least he could die knowing that the thing would die with him, and Kira would be safe. Distraught, yes. Sad? Maybe. But safe.

*Thok-Thok-THOK*

He ****** his eyes open, ears perked as the beast swayed. That wasn't the right sound at all! He had certainly never been at the center of an annihilation sphere, but he was fairly certain it didn't sound like-

"I've got you-whoof!" Kira crashed to the ground as the panther was hurled clear, just barely intercepting the beastkin before he could go tumbling across the landscape. They both skidded through the dirt, coming to an unceremonious halt as Kira managed to gouge her talons into the dirt like anchors.

Above them, the Treehemoth shrieked and swayed violently, and one by one the magical arrows that were neatly grouped at it's core detonated in a burst of brilliant white light. Suddenly weighted down by a ton of frost and ice, the creature shuddered as it keeled over off of the dirt path, crashing through the scorched woods like a toppled building.

There was a long moment of silence, but for the echoing of the wounded beast's thrashing, and even that stilled once the unnatural chill took hold. Finally, Rhaelyn managed a breathless wheeze, then a ragged cough, and his hand dipped between his thighs. Kira's hand had beaten him there, and she used her free hand to hug his head to her feathered chest.

"Sshh, it's fine Ser Rhaelyn." She crooned soothingly, "Everything is still there."

The panther just groaned - he would take her word at that, but the pain was still... something else. At the very least he could take consolation in the knowledge that the tree-beast hadn't mangled him maliciously - that, at least, meant the certain difference between being bruised and distended versus being ********* entirely.

"Hail, the traveler!" came the cry, and the sounds of a horse were obvious from the other side of the massive stone slab that was now blocking the path.

Rhaelyn started, an ear abruptly perked. His pain was momentarily forgotten - well, okay, it wasn't so much forgotten as it was very briefly blotted out. Kira looked quizzically to the male as he ****** himself upright into a sitting position.

He coughed twice, spit blood into the bushes, then drew in a deep breath before calling out in return. His voice was strong, albeit just a bit pitched and wavering. "Al? Is that you?"

And a pause, before the newcomer laughed. "Ray?"

Kira looked to Rhaelyn again, her voice low as she echoed that. "Ray?"

"It's just-" the panther grunted, wincing as he tried - and failed - to push back to his feet. He stayed on the ground, instead. "It's a whole thing with her. Just, nf... you'll see."

Kira blinked, her eartufts perked. Her? Al was a her? She had kind of assumed it was short for Albert.

There was the clop of hooves as the rider leaped atop the obstruction, then the clatter of metal on stone as she cleared it with remarkable ease. "Ha, I'd know that squeaky voice anywhere!"

The gryphon gaped at the newcomer - a centaur, and there was no doubt at all that she was... well... a she. Equine from the waist-down, the bulk of her body was that of a mare, ghost-white and festooned with heavy saddlebags. Above that, she had the partially humanoid build of the hairless creatures from the distant continent.

Oh sure, her shoulders were a little too broad, her nose a little too flat, but if Kira hadn't taken her all in at once she might have mistaken her for a human. Her hair was a brilliant, fiery orange - so long that it ran all the way to the small of her back - but bound into a tight ponytail to keep it out of her face. Her features were symmetrical and pleasant enough, not that the hen was one to judge, with only her oddly high-set and pointed ears being clear evidence of her equine heritage. Well, if you ignored everything below her waist.

Her garb was scant and simple, and she apparently wore nothing that did not serve a practical purpose. She bore a longbow in one hand, a quiver slung over one shoulder, metal bracers on each arm to protect them from the errant lash of the bowstring, and a taut-stretched leather halter to keep her very ample curves from bouncing free.

'Hrmf,' that little voice in Kira's head muttered. 'Going to have to make sure Rhaelyn doesn't stare at those too much.'

Kira grumbled in agreement, her head bobbing silently as she snuck a peek at the panther. Thankfully, he wasn't staring at them just yet.

"Alandrea," he grinned. "I can't believe it's you! What in the world are you doing all the way out here in the Gryphon Territories?"

She laughed again, the centaur filly trotting lightly around the panther and gryphon both as she peered down the shallow slope where the Treehemoth had fallen. It was still now, but she was certain that it wasn't dead. At a guess, she imagined that they had about half an hour before it shook off the effects of her magical arrows.

"Please, it's just Al." She smiled, "And hey, I could ask you the same dang thing!"

"What the hell just happened!?"

That last bit came from Kira, the hen finally finding her voice. She peered to the centaur, then the panther, and back again. "I'm sorry, but am I the only one that's upset about that tree that tried to eat us?"

"What, the Treehemoth?" Alandrea gestured dismissively, grinning as she shouldered her bow. "Yeah, those things can be a bitch and a half. Don't worry, though, that one's down for the count." And a pause, as she glanced back down the slope. "Course, we should probably get a move on before it wakes back up again."

Rhaelyn groaned as he settled back against the hen. "Is that what that thing was? I had my suspicions, but it was hard to be sure while it was trying to eat me whole."

"Naw, it would have taken three or four bites to eat you, big guy." The filly never stopped smiling, peering down at the runt of a gryphon now. She literally towered over the hen, and Kira had never before felt quite so self-conscious about her vertical handicap. "So, who's the featherduster?"

The panther coughed again, swiftly wiping his muzzle clean. The spells and the exertion of combat had taken their toll, but he was admirably resisting the urge to go fetal and cry. The appearance of his old traveling companion had given him new strength. "Nf, oh, ah... Kira? This is Al. Al, this is Kira. She's my, uh..."

The hen snorted, waiting patiently for the panther to decide how she was to be introduced. After a long moment of floundering however, she rolled her eyes and bobbed her head toward the filly. "I'm his bodyguard. Hi, I'm Kira."

"Pleasure to meet you, Ki!" Alandrea smiled broadly as she reached down with one offered hand. When the hen stared blankly at it, she withdrew it, offering a half-wave instead.

"Um, no, it's.. uh... it's Kira." She corrected.

Rhaelyn cleared his throat, nudging the hen lightly with his elbow as he murmured. "Don't. It won't help. It's, ah... I told you, it's a whole thing with her." And then louder, he addressed the centaur directly. "Nf... w-... well, it's great to see you, Al. You're right, we should get going, but... er... I think I lost my pack when that thing was flinging me about. Do you think you could...?"

"Go find it for you? Sure!" And the filly trotted off without a second thought, leaving the two alone for the moment.

Kira peered after the mare, still at a bit of a loss. "So that's Al? She's, uh... nice."

Rhaelyn chuckled softly, although the sound took some effort. "Nf... she takes... ah, she takes some getting used to. I'm just surprised she hasn't tried charging us for the rescue yet."

Kira blinked, looking back to Rhaelyn. "Charging us...?"

He rolled his eyes, but his head bobbed in confirmation. "She is absolutely the most cheerful and enthusiastic, nf, mercenary that you will ever meet. Just you wait and see."

"Oh, um..." she wasn't really sure how to take that. Technically, Kira was a mercenary too, right? "Yay?"

"Right. Yay." Rhaelyn grunted as he tried, and failed, to rise again. No, his legs weren't cooperating with him at all this time. Some brief inspection confirmed that, aside from the freshly bruised state of his most delicate organs, he appeared to have sprained both of his ankles as well. But at least they weren't broken.

"Look, Kira, whatever you do - don't tell her that my, er, balls are injured."

The hen arched a brow, her eartufts slicked forward toward the male. "What? Why not?"

"Just," and he stifled another groan as he finally slumped back down to the ground. "Just don't. As far as she's concerned, the fight with the Treehemoth injured my legs. She doesn't... nf... she doesn't need to know the rest."

She seemed uncertain, but she nodded anyway. "Well... okay, I guess."

"So hey!" Alandrea beamed as she trotted back up, the panther's pack in hand. She lobbed it onto the male's lap, seeming not to notice as his whole body cringed at the impact. "What the heck are you two doing way out here, anyway?"

Rhaelyn coughed and shuddered, his eyes closed tight as he once again found himself resisting the urge to curl into the fetal position.

"Uh..." Kira worked her beak for a moment, until it was obvious that the panther was in no state to respond, before taking the verbal lead herself. "Well, um, Ser Rhaelyn... um... Ray here was doing some kind of, uh, inter-species diplomacy-ing with the Shardclaw Tribe, and now The Queen wants to... I dunno... eat him?"

"Huh," the filly chewed on that for a second. "Well, I'll tell ya, our boy here never does anything small!" And she grinned again, thumbing toward the path. "So, you two need an escort then? I was just heading toward Ma'Karach anyway, so it wouldn't be no trouble."

The panther coughed, finding enough breath to speak once more. "I, nf... that'd... hf... that'd be great, Al. I just, uh..." and a wince as he carefully slid his pack off of his lap. "What's the catch?"

Alandrea went wide-eyed, all innocence and sparkles - and Kira couldn't help but like her a little more. "Why Ray, I'm hurt! I'm downright scandalized! What kind of monster would I be to leave my very dear friend and his loyal bodyguard by the roadside to be eaten alive by trees?"

Rhaelyn snorted, his ears twitching forward. "Al..."

And she rolled her eyes, grinning as she gave a casual shrug of her shoulders. "Well, those arrows I just used up cost five gold apiece. Course, they were also part of a matched set of twelve, so the net value goes down now that I've only got nine of'em left. Plus, y'know, I will be going a LITTLE out of my way to get you back to your clanhome, so..."

The panther gingerly rubbed his temple, trying to stave off the renewed beginnings of a headache. There it was, though. Alandrea was nothing if not predictable. "I can make you more arrows, Al."

"Not like these ones," she protested. "These are-"

"Mark-3 Frostburst Arrows, 'aught-five vintage from... what, the Hinterlands?"

The filly grinned, her hands set on her equine hips. "How the heck d'you do that, Ray?"

"I'm a wizard" he grunted, simply. "You used three, so I'll make you six."

She frowned a little, but even with the frown on her face her eyes were still smiling. "There's twelve in a set, Ray."

"No," he rolled his eyes. "There's twenty in a set, so your set was already broken up. But look, I'll make you ten. It's only fair that you know this might get... dangerous."

"Heck, more dangerous than a rampaging Treehemoth?" she grinned. "Ten sounds plenty fair. Come on, let's get a'moving, then. Time is money!"

Kira blinked, finally coming out of her shell-shocked silence. "W-... what just... what just happened?"

Rhaelyn snorted, "It's called haggling, Kira."

The hen cocked her head, pondering on that. She was really going to have to look into this 'haggling' thing. It seemed... useful.

Alandrea trotted back about, having fully circled the massive stone slab that was blocking the road. "Hey, you two coming or what?"

"Al, if you'd just hold still for a second, you'd know that-"

"Rhaelyn hurt his legs!" Kira blurted out, interrupting the panther. She wasn't supposed to say anything about his balls, she reminded herself. Nothing about his balls. "The tree hurt his legs, and nothing else!"

The centaur seemed a little taken aback at the hen's volume. "I, uh, Ray?"

Rhaelyn sighed, rubbing his temple again. Clearly the hen needed some lessons in subtlety as well. "Ah, yes, Kira is correct. I appear to have sprained both of my ankles, so I will be requiring some assistance."

She grinned, rolling her shoulders in another casual shrug. "Well heck, is that all?" She wheeled about, her hoofed legs working in tandem as she presented her flank. "Hop on! I'll have you two out of here so fast it'll make your heads spin!"

The panther balked, more than a little concerned about the effect that bareback riding might have on his already abominably sore groin, but... "Nf, I, uh... don't think that's a good idea."

"Don't be silly," she scolded the beastkin. "You won't slow me down none! Heck, I could carry five of ya without even getting winded."

"I, uh..." he floundered, trying to think of any reason that might dissuade the filly. Well, any reason other than the real one. Were there any alternatives?

"Ain't no alternatives, Ray. Not unless you want me to tie your heels to my saddlebags so I can drag you all the way back to town." Her arms crossed just below her breasts, in a gesture of stubborn finality. "Come on, you know a filly like me doesn't let just ANYone mount up. You're gonna hurt my feelings."

He sighed, his ears drooped as he cast about for a defense against that reasoning. He looked to Kira, but she was certainly no help - in fact, it looked like she was barely managing to keep herself from bursting into laughter. He muttered faintly, raised his hands in resignation, and nodded. "Fine, you're right."

"Course I'm right," Alandrea beamed. She caught the male by the hands, hefted him to his feet with deceptive strength, then shifted her grip to his waist. Twisting halfway about with impressive flexibility, she then deposited the panther non-too-gently onto her back. "There you go."

"G-... guh," Rhaelyn managed. His eyes were already watering as he settled into place, straddling the mare's back. The positioning was a little awkward - her saddlebags were where a saddle might normally have gone, so he was positioned a little further up along her back just over her equine shoulders and just shy of the joint between her equine and human halves.

The centaur arched her brow, glancing at the sniggering gryphon, then back over her shoulder at the male. "You comfy? Sorry I ain't got a saddle for ya."

The panther coughed faintly, leaning forward to slump against the mare's human half. His breathing was already labored, and he was loath to imagine how he might feel after a few hours of this, but... "Ng... f-... fine, it's fine."

"Great!" she grinned, reaching back to catch his arms and pull them about her waist. "You just hold on tight, here, but don't let your paws wander none. Keep it above the waist and below the bust, elsewise I'm gonna buck you up."

"R-... right," he wheezed. "Wouldn't, nf... dream of it. How long do you...?"

Alandrea pursed her lips, her equine ears perked as she did a few quick calculations in her head. "Oh, well, I figger we're about twelve, maybe fifteen hours out as long as we don't run into no more Treehemoths. I reckon we'll have you back to civilization by, say, tomorrow 'round lunchtime, and back to Ma'Karach by dinner?"

"G-... great," he echoed the filly's sentiment, but abruptly went breathless as she set back into motion. It was only a trot, but the jostling and vibrations running through his swollen orbs was already nauseating. He stifled a groan, head bowed as he planted the top of his skull between the mare's upper set of shoulder blades.

Another day - a day of THIS. He... he was fairly certain he could manage that. Probably.

And at his side, keeping pace with the the centaur filly, Kira could only giggle.

***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** ***** *****

An hour later, the battle repeated itself. The Treehemoth was there, but it's prey was different.

"Hf... hf... the hell was that?" Jarol snarled, his talons crooked to rake twigs from his mane. He was uncharacteristically vocal, but for good reason. A tree had just tried to eat him.

Quetzyl hissed, hacking into the fallen monster twice more, her diamond-hard claws shearing through it's wooden flesh like a hot knife through butter. Her head dipped, her jagged beak bit down, and she wrenched it's sap-drenched heart free.

The Treehemoth shuddered, then fell still for the last time.

The larger drake approached cautiously, his sides heaving as he tried to catch his breath. The thing had caught him by surprise, and he was fairly certain it had broken several of his ribs before Quetzyl had swooped in to tear it to pieces.

He stifled a groan as he stretched out his left wing. No, it wasn't broken, but there was definitely a torn muscle right near the base. That was going to be... problematic.

The scaled hen spit the beakful of wood and sap from her maw, making a distasteful retching sound as she tried to get the taste off of her tongue. It was infuriating - if something was going to try to kill her, it could at least have the common decency to be made of blood and meat.

As daunting as the tree-beast had been, it had been woefully outclassed. Quetzyl's sleek frame was armored with glistening feather-like scales, her muscles were like corded steel, and her talons rivaled the finest blades. The Treehemoth, on the other hand, had been wounded and half-frozen when the two hunters had stumbled upon it.

Quetzyl sneered, "Will you live?"

Jarol grunted, prowling along one side of the fallen creature. Quetzyl wasn't even looking at him, so he was hard-pressed to imagine that she really cared about the state of his health. "I'll live."

"Good," her voice grated in a low trill, one slit-pupil swiveling about to fix on the larger drake. Despite his best efforts, Jarol couldn't help but shiver. She was... well, there was a reason why no hunter had ever challenged Quetzyl for command of her hunting party.

"If you ssslow me down, then I will feed you your heart."

"Rf... right." He grunted, his gaze averted as he looked for tracks. While the average gryphon's sense of smell was substandard, their eyesight was almost unparalleled, and he almost immediately picked out the signs of hoofprints.

"Here," he uttered, circling the clearest of the tracks.

Quetzyl took another few seconds to scrape the blood-like sap from her beak and scales, then hopped down heavily from the dead monster's carcass. "Hss... one rider," and a pause as her gaze flitted to the Treehemoth. "An archer. The beasstkin rode with him, and the rogue followed on foot."

Jarrol considered that, absently flexing his wounded wing. "Rf... a friend?"

Quetzyl growled low, the throbbing rumble not unlike the sound of a dozen rattlesnakes caught in her throat. "Doessn't matter, we will kill them too."

"We should... rr..." Jarol hesitated as the hen looked to him, both of her eyes blazing with barely restrained rage. He lowered his head, trying to make it clear that he wasn't defying her will. "Should we... rr... go back for more hunterrs?"

She snorted at that, her wings bristling behind her. "Iss no time. With a horsse, they will be beyond our reach within a day."

The drake slouched a bit, his gaze averted. "But..."

"Turn back if you want, coward." Her eyes were narrowed, her voice a low and lethal hiss. "But I will purssue and I will finish thiss."

Jarol almost took her up on that offer, whether it might brand him a coward or not. This was insane. There were three now - an archer, a wizard, and the rogue gryphon, and they were only two. On top of that, the hen was clearly growing imbalanced, he was wounded, and their packmate was more than likely dead by now.

"Ah... no," he uttered. He resigned himself to continuing the chase. He knew that the offer had not been genuine - if he tried to back out, Quetzyl would almost certainly rend him limb from limb. "I will continue the hunt."

Quetzyl sneered, looking down on her companion. "Good, then we will continue together. We will take them tonight, when the moon iss at it'ss height." She swept her wings out, and with a powerful sweep she lept atop the massive stone that seemed to be blocking their path. She peered in the direction she was certain that her prey had gone.

"In the darknesss, their archer will be usselesss. You will take the rogue, and I will handle the wizard..." And she smiled, her jagged beak twisted into an ugly expression. She knew just how to stop the wizard before he could even lift a finger. She had watched the hated rogue do it, and now those secrets were hers.

She rasped softly with an almost silent hiss of pleasure. This was going to be fun.

And behind her, Jarol laboriously pulled himself atop the stone as well. It was hard with his injuries, but he managed it before he could draw the hen's ire. Still, he sighed.

This was going to be a disaster.

Your best chapter yet!
    One important, tiny sentence, “And then a tree fell on him,” followed by a brilliant pace acceleration!
    Alec Anaconda

eBooks_by_ALEC_ANACONDA